1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pond pipe reroute

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Sprinkus, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

A nice Koi pond piping reroute that I got to do by myself, since my helper was too sick/drunk to show up.
    Buncha double 45's on this one.
    The most annoying part was the painter who was on the phone constantly. I'd hate to be the customer having to pay for the one handed painter. :hammerhead:

2. Hope you left the coverup for your helper. seems like a lot of pipes for a koi pond but I know nothing about koi ponds except storks will fly in and eat them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Love your 45's on the turns; lot of pipe ganged together in one trench, hope nothing breaks down the road.

How big is that pond? Does it use a diatomaceous earth filter or carbon & fiber? I've been thinking about one for my house, my wifes cat loves fresh fish.
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Do they make PVC 45 degree street ells? Would have cut down on the short pieces to glue between ell fittings.
  5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

yes they do Dana, 4 times the price of a standard 45. the double 45 is three times as much as a 90 but well worth the price.

the runs are similar to swimming pool plumbing runs, stacking is a necessary evil as there is usually limited room. sprinkus does some nice work :)
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed; he must be better than me, as I don't see any felt marker lines on the 45s to finally seat the fittings. :clapping: Hate to have to do any repairs in there, as it's always the pipe that's hardest to get to that blows. :dizzy:
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  7. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

You bring up an interesting point. Never could understand why pvc 45's cost so much more than the 90's. Bugs the crap out of me every time I have to buy them.
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm trying to understand the need for two 45's here .... trench not angled correctly?
  9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

There is an intake at the bottom, a skimmer intake, an output at the bottom, an output for the waterfall, one pipe is a spare, the two 1" pipes are for aeration.

The pond isn't all that big. The water is run through a sand filter and also uses a UV unit.

No marker needed on the double 45 the way I assembled them. I need to do a video or take pictures of the technique one of these days.

Trench could not be angled correctly due to proximity to the stand of Oak trees, the building, the main electrical trench, and the position of the pump pad.

And yes, I'd hate to have to do a repair on any of the inner pipes. :dizzy:
  10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a lot of work by yourself! Fun little project

I don't particularly like 45's and try not to use them as much as I can.

From a repair aspect 2 45's off angled like that is a future repair's nightmare.

I don't really like fittings butt up like that either. If I was in that situation I think I would have dug down a little bit more and then used 2 90's with like 6" of spacing between the 90's. That way a future repair could be done rather easily with say 2 couplers and 1 90.