1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pond project starting today.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Lite4, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Ron, you got it.

2. Lite4

Ok, I am back. Here are some pics of the show over the weekend. Just a quick booth we set up in the afternoon.

dahl0001_1.JPG

dahl0001.JPG

3. Lite4

Started digging with our hoe yesterday and found a lava deposit about 2' down. The pond is supposed to be about 3-4' deep. This sucks, time for the heavy hitter.

dahl0001_2.JPG

dahl0001_3.JPG

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

nice mini-x, how is it working for ya?

5. Lite4

The large island in the middle of the pond is going to be home to our core drilled fountains. Here are the stones. The largest one weighs 4,300 lbs. The cored holes are a 2 1/2 inch diameter. All 3 are going on the island. The one with the handle sticking out of the hole will have water coming out of the hole like a spring out of the rock. Should be pretty cool. I am using an Aquascape 10,600 gph pump and dividing the flows between the 3 stones.

dahl0001_4.JPG

dahl0001_5.JPG

dahl0001_6.JPG

6. Lite4

Breaking out the lava with the hammer. I am in the hoe getting my guts shaken out by the stone. Tomorrow, fountain setting...I hope. I shot a pic of the hardpan/lava we are taking out. I can't exactly spread these spoils out on the property.

dahl0001_7.JPG

dahl0001_8.JPG

dahl0001_9.JPG

dahl0001_10.JPG

7. Lite4

The Cat 304 is a great little hoe. Very strong for its size and has a zero radius which is nice in tight spots such as this.

8. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Great Pics Tim! That is a bummer about the hardpan. So you are going to be doing a lot of haul off huh? Your display turned out really nice. What lights did you end up featuring? Did you make that narrow column that is saw cut and drilled?

Thanks for posting. I am anxious to see how you arrange and plumb the large boulders as you set them. What kind of rock are you boulders there?

9. Lite4

We cut and cored all the rock for our display. The lights were minimal, this was mainly a display for landscaping. The rock pics I posted for the fountain are a lichen covered quartzitic sandstone.

10. Lite4

Got the liner in and the fountain stones set.

pond0001_1.JPG

pond0001_2.JPG

pond0001_3.JPG

pond0001_5.JPG

pond0001_6.JPG