Pond project starting today.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Lite4, Mar 10, 2008.

1. PowerPlay

PowerPlay LawnSite Member

Tim,

Will that machine lift a 6,500lb boulder? I need to put one in place of that size. Great looking job!

2. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Kind of a dumb question, but what do you drill the rocks with. I have a feature that someone wants and they have a rock in their field that they would like to use as a bubbler fountain. I've never had to use a rock that was on site, what do you recommend?

This is open to anyone who has experience with this?

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

All my rocks are core drilled with a coring bit. Usually 2.5-3" in diameter.
    The cat 304 might be a little undersized for a boulder in the 6500 lb range. I was picking up 4500 pounders, but it wouldn't lift much more than that.

4. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

can I ask why you used so much peagravel and not more larger stones?
    Did they want the beach look?

5. Lite4

Yes, they want to wade out in it with their grandkids. So it needed to be somewhat softer under foot. There is 2" round rock under the pea gravel in the bottom of the pond.

6. Infinity Landscapes  Inc

Infinity Landscapes Inc LawnSite Member

Lookin good. How do you go aboat flushing the pond or do you just fill and let it settle?. I can imagin it will take so time to fill. Or do you buy very clean rock and pre wash? here Our river rock from certain suppliers is very dirty which pisses me off. when I order 2"-6" river rock I don't want fines and chips, mud. Need to serch more suppliers. Still got a lot of tweeking on the one I posted. Tried the led color lights the the client wanted. he was not liken it and would rather go with white.keep it rollen

7. Lite4

I will post more pics tonight when I get back from an estimate.

8. Lite4

Ok, here is digging in the liner and we also cut out a deep area that the grandkids can build sand castles and the like in right off the beach area when we fill it with sand.

grove0001_14.JPG

grove0001_16.JPG

9. Lite4

Here is where we ended up today. Pond liner is tucked in everywhere except on the bog filter, I have to install a 3" bulk head fitting to get the pipe through in the morning. We cut out the paver area today and will be installing tomorrow. Sod on thursday. Hoping to be done with this one by end of Thursday.

grove0001_17.JPG

grove0001_15.JPG

10. KSL

KSL LawnSite Member
    from MI

looks great man, nice work