Pond pump intake piping

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zman9119, Oct 19, 2010.

1. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

So what does everyone use for an intake line for a pond pump?

I have seen mainly seen Sch 40 and 80 PVC and poly used in this area. All the PVC ones I have seen get removed for winter and I have seen a few poly ones left in with no problems with freezing.

So what are you using? Any benefits one over the other?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Poly wouldn't be so great if you have a check valve at the inlet - I like flexible PVC for suction hose.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

sched. 40 pond/pool/spa flex is what i use for suction, i've not had collapse or deterioration issues. i do suggest black for exposed installations though.

4. Wet_Boots

I do wish there were some good cheap mechanical fittings for the PVC suction hose.

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I use poly on submersible pumps and suction lines for centrifugal pumps and leave them in all winter....never had a problem.
    If I winterize a system where they used PVC, I will pull it.

6. Wet_Boots

Poly pipe is not designed for vacuum use, so I always worried what it would do with a slightly clogged intake. The spiral-reinforced flexible PVC is rated for vacuum service.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

sched 80 male and female adapters work well with pvc flex glue, primer only the coupling not the flex.

no worries about the fittings, the tendency is to collapse not to separate.

8. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

No Question. Flex Pvc. higher cost, but install it and forget it. Never a problem in even the harshest environment.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

1-1/4 polly , usualy pull it for winter. Set up with a float and a weight.

10. Wet_Boots

I've seen the pipe come loose from glued fittings, specifically a ball valve in a pond recirculator feed, so I can't believe gluing is totally worry-free on a suction line.