1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pond Rake/Cutter.. Any Experience Anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Had a new client ask me on friday if I could mow around their pond, I just bought a bush hog for my 4100 so thats no prob but she wants the cat tails around the edge of the pond (in the water removed as well) I understand theres a tool called a POND RAKE for cutting off pond weeds under the water then pulls them to shore for a cleaner look. Anyone work with one of these before? Is there a better way? I was going to put on a snorkel and drive the JD through the pond but you know... :p

(actually looks pretty easy to make youself.. forget the $100+)
  2. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Looks a lot like my 36" landscape rake with about a 6' extention handle, 20' of poly rope, one of those floatie things the kid use in the pool and a couple of tie wraps.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

that's exactly what that is, and only 105 dollars!:rolleyes: good idea though.
  4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Canadian, I would try this machine that Redmax makes called the Reciprocator, it' works kinda like a hedge trimmer only with a round blade ( if you can immagine that), I also think that some of the extended reach hedge trimmers will opperate under water...I'm not sure of that though..

I also believe there are certain chems. that will get rid of the cattails as well...
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

That is not a good idea. I know of a guy who had to rebuild the engine on his tractor, because he ran it in the water. The exaust, if blocked will cause the rods to bend in the engine. So you have to get the exaust and intake out of the water. Plus what is your plan to get the tractor out when you sink it.

Personally I would try red max Reciprocator, they work quite well. Its much safer than the brush blades on trimmers. We used one at the golf course I used to work at for the weeds in the ponds and brush around them. We lost the JD 5210 w/hog near the edge of the one pond. If the JD 1070 didn't have a back hoe we would have never gotten the JD 5210 out. So we had to do around the ponds by hand.
  6. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Im assuming you (itsgottobegreen) knew I was joking about driving the JD through the pond and replied with some sarcasm yourself.... There might be people out there dumb enough to try that but Im not one of them..
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Mechanical harvesters can cause more problems than they solve. Most aquatic weeds are fragile and can break into small pieces quite easily. These pieces can grow into a new plant, further infesting the pond. As far as cattails and other emerged aquatic weeds are concerned, an application or two of Rodeo will take care of them.