Pond Renovation Job (pics)

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by BSDeality, Jun 26, 2006.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Here are a couple photos I snapped today (most came out blurry :hammerhead:). This is why you do not make fishbowl shaped ponds out of cement, pea gravel and sand.

100_4413.jpg

2. BSDeality

here is a picture from the opposite direction, you can see how the sand slid down and made a slope out of the 2 shelves the previous contractor installed. The pea gravel inside the liner made ball bearings for the large rocks to slide down to the bottom too.

100_4414.jpg

3. BSDeality

here is the last photo I have from today that isn't blurry. We widened the pond to accomodate shelves on the backside of the pond. The original installer decided to cement an almost vertical wall under the liner. This served no purpose in my eyes. Unfortunately because of other constraints around the pond the shelves in the back have to be straight lines, however when we rock it, there will some variations. the pond will look almost like a set of ski-goggles when its done.

Here we've made some preliminary cuts for the shelves which we will finish up tomorrow morning after we get the monster rock (3'x1'x8") out from the side where some of the front shelves have to go.

100_4417.jpg

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Wow what a mess...can you break out that cement on the side to grade that upper edge so it has a more gradual slope to it?
    Love to see after pics when you are done.

5. BSDeality

There cement is sitting under some huge ledge rock. I cannot push the back side of the pond back under those. I decided to just leave the cement and form the shelves out of topsoil right up against the cement. This was the recommendation I got from my supplier and another pond builder. The topsoil was compacted in 2-3" lifts and then cut to vertical walls after. The opposite side (no cement on this side) of the pond where the curves are is restrained by some irrigation pipes, more ledge and a plant that the HO didn't want moved. The overall size will be about 11x16'. I will try to take more shots today of the progress and check the quality of the pictures while I'm there. The waterfall is a mess too, they want to leave it for the time being. The guy couldn't figure out where the water was leaking out of the stream/falls so he decided to cement that together too. Originally there was no filtration on teh pond either. The pump was just sitting in the bottom of the pond with a 1" line running up and over the side of the liner and then to the top of mount cement-stream.

6. BSDeality

We had a short day on the pond today because I had a Yankee Game to go to courtesy of one of my customers. Here is a slightly better picture from what we did yesterday (first thing this morning). You can see one of the big rocks we had to remove, that one was 3'x1'x8" roughly

100_4424.jpg

7. BSDeality

here I am captured actually working. We placed the skimmer box and dug down about 12" and discovered another mammoth rock ("big momma"). So I moved the skimmer box to the left of "big momma" only to discover "big papa" was sitting right next to her. This wasted about 1.5 hrs since I was poking/prodding around seeing if I could move either of the big rocks. I decided I had better rent a jackhammer at lunch time and get the skimmer in the ground. We chipped out about a 2x16" area of about 10" thick rock.

100_4425.jpg

8. BSDeality

next up we have what we finished with as of about 3pm before we left. we finished creating the shelves, cut out all the roots that were exposed and dropped the underlayment inside the pond. You can see where the skimmer box ended up (top left). originally I wanted it to be a little farther to the right to minimize any slow/dead spots in water flow, but I felt more confident chipping the rock out in the second location.

100_4427.jpg

9. BSDeality

here is a snapshot of the cement "waterfall" (if you can even call it that). There are a couple extra flatstones which I tossed on top when we emptied the pond, but the thing is ugly. its just a trail that starts out about 3" wide at the top (you can almost see the 1.25" pipe sticking out under the rocks.) and is about 15-18" wide at the bottom. They cemented the joints because they used two pieces of liner under the stream, however instead of laying one layer uphill and over the lower one, they used two together in a left to right sense. There was a 10' long leak running down the entire middle of the waterfall at the seam. The waterfall is also very cluttered and unnatural looking. There are too many small ugly rocks that are just thrown in on the side and distract you from the stream (although in this ugly things case it might be a good thing :nono: ) Today the HO asked if I could take a look at the stream after the pond is done. *cha-ching*

100_4429.jpg

10. BSDeality

Update for Day 3 of the renovation. 4"+ rain over night into about 10am this morning pushed us way back. We picked up some supplies and started working around mid-day. When we arrived the pond had about 10-12" of water in it. I was hoping it would drain naturally, however the water table is very high and it was actually going up as the day progressed. We plumbed up the boxes, set and leveled them and backfilled them today. This took some time and planning since its a little more complex than the average pond. multiple exits, bulk head fittings, reducers, ball valves, check valves and a jet for the fish to swim into. We then pumped out the pond and dropped the liner in to begin rocking the inside. Water began to fill the pond under the liner, so we had to stop and we will have to pull some of the rock out and pump it out again in the morning if the water does not recede. I forgot to take pictures today, but not much has changed other than we dropped the liner in and rocked the two bottom steps.