Pond Renovation Portfolio

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by dweav44, Oct 21, 2010.

1. dweav44

dweav44 LawnSite Member

We renovated this koi pond for a customer about 3 years ago and I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the build. I will keep the words to a minimum and mostly let the pictures speak for themselves. I will answer any questions you have.

For some of you this will be a completely new concept. Finished product is a 2 pond system in which you can see the floor of the pond yearround with no cleaning necessary.(just filters that is)

When we arrived the water was muddy brown and rocks were everywhere! These pics show what it looked like after we drained the pond and scooped out 6" of who knows what.

Basically there is a large pond with a bog above it. That is all going to change.

I owe a lot to Koiphen.com and its members for helping me learn about koi ponds.

carlisle pond 008.jpg

carlisle pond 011.jpg

carlisle pond 012.jpg

2. dweav44

dweav44 LawnSite Member

Drained bog and removed a lot of gravel and liner. Dug to 5.5' deep.

carlisle pond 013.jpg

carlisle pond 024.jpg

carlisle pond 031.jpg

3. dweav44

dweav44 LawnSite Member

Starting to demo the pile of rock they called a water feature to prepare for the new one.

carlisle pond 027.jpg

4. dweav44

dweav44 LawnSite Member

Plumbing for upper pond going in. 2 4" bottom drains and 7 2" returns.

Also, cutting out the ledges.

Pond 015.jpg

Pond 020.jpg

Pond 021.jpg

5. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Those are some cool pics

6. dweav44

dweav44 LawnSite Member

Thanks MT

Here we are pouring for the weir and the collar around the upper pond. Water will flow from upper pond to lower pond over the weir. That was a tough afternoon.

Pond 026.jpg

Pond 047.jpg

7. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

cool stuff keep them coming

8. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

What were the specs (capacity, filtration, pump size ,etc.) on the original Pond and what will be the same specs for the renovation? Looks like there would be a lot of leaf and tree pollen drop.

9. dweav44

dweav44 LawnSite Member

We didn't measure the capacity of the original setup and as far as the other stuff goes I believe there was one or two skimmers feeding the bog(maybe 6,000gal/hr) which was considered the filtration. If I had to guess the capacity was about 15,000gal total(bog being about 3,000gal).

For the renovation specs you will have to wait and see.

We put up a leaf net during the fall which helps catch a good number of the leaves, but the skimmers still need to be emptied each day. Does pollen cause problems with ponds?

10. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

Interesting.. What are you using to hold water.. liner, concrete, spray liner etc???.. 7 returns and 2 bottom drains thats alot of problems that can arise with leaks if not done correctly. What are using for filtration..an exterenal pressurized system? What is your pump size, has to be a few horses to cover that weir opening.. If you dont mind me asking what is cost of this project?