Pond vacs

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Mar 4, 2012.

1. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

oh keith you comedian!

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

It's the ultra cleaning vac, rocks, fish, plants, muck, oh and algae.

Seriously I guess I'll have to rig up something like this. http://members.shaw.ca/floydn/

I tried my big 16 gallon vac with the 3" hose and it's drowning in a foot of water.

3. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I get the impression that you are doing pond clean-outs solo. You need to hire a helper. With 2 people, the clean out process goes a lot smoother, plus the customer is happier because you are in and out considerably quicker.

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

I have a helper when I do a full blown cleanout. I'm just playing with the pond vac setup for touchups etc.

5. eastcoastjessee

eastcoastjessee LawnSite Member

I'm not sure I understand how these DIY pond vacs work. I'm referencing something like this http://www.members.shaw.ca/floydn/ The water comes into the bottom of the barrel and fills it up then you pump the water out of the barrel?? How is this filtering the water to put it back into the pond? Or is the water not be replaced? I'm getting ready to clean a large pond and wanted to explore my options rather than totally draining and refilling. Thanks.

6. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

If anyone knows a cost-effective way to COMPLETELY clean an R & G pond WITHOUT draining it, I would like to hear about it.

7. eastcoastjessee

eastcoastjessee LawnSite Member

Well that explains it perfectly, thank you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

They're basically just a muck/debris vacuum to help in weekly/monthly maintenance etc.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i am building one similar, wired 110vac. all parts except fittings and hand truck have been salvaged from retrofits/upgrades

topgun pool cleaner.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Is this for real?