Pondless waterfall kits

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Keith, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I've done a few disappearing fountains now, and I am wanting to try a small pondless waterfall. I'm going to do one at my own house, and I expect I will install it, then end up doing it again a few times until I wind up with something I like.

Anyway, I think this first time I might want to try a kit instead of winging it. If you were going to choose between one of these two kits, which would you go with?

The PondEco Backyard Brook, adding the T&H 3900 pump http://www.itsparadiseathome.com/equipment/backyard-brook-kits.html

or the Savio PF1000 http://www.savio.cc/pond-products/C70/

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm getting ready to build a big pondless... planning on using the savio because though I've not used the pondless products yet everything else has been top notch

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I have used the kits in the past and they are very expensive. I have built conservatively around 90-100 pondless waterfalls and fountains. If you want to know how to do them without the spendy kits, I can show you what you will need. It is very simple. Just PM me and I will give you some info. If you want to see photos, I can give you some. I just posted a few in the 3 rock bubbler thread a couple weeks ago.

4. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the Savio kit. They have a really good well basin. Also, I just checked my wholesaler's price, and the Savio kit you are looking at is just as cheap as the other kit you are looking at.

Check out pondliner.com Call the wholesale dept. You can get the kit much cheaper than the advertised price. They will also give you information regarding the installation, and let you know if their might be a cheaper custom kit utilizing good components.

If you do a "home aid" water feature you still have to buy the liner, underlayment, a good pump, 2" pipe or hose, UV resistant waterfall foam and a good basin that you can house and access the pump from. The only thing you can really get around is the waterfall weir at the top. I did that on one of my features because the viewing point was from the top of the feature.

I also think Savio has the best waterfall weir. There is no silicone involved. The liner acts as the gasket and it is absolutely fail proof. You should never have to see the weir at all. There are creative ways to place it so the source of the falls looks natural.

Hope that helps.

5. Keith

Thanks for the replies. My irrigation supply house carries the Savio line. As I recall, when I checked they were about $685. Does that price sound about in line with pondliner? I actually had considered going with the smaller PF0500 kit that is under $500 through the irrigation place.

Tim, I appreciate your offer. I'd really like to see more pictures of your work and any advice you might have. I just thought until I really know where I am headed with this, it might be better to buy a kit than to try to hunt parts.

6. BrandonV

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Keith
    You are central FL have you ever checked these guys out, very professional, good to great pricing
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/

8. Keith

I think I might have checked out their site last year when I was hunting for some kind of supplies. I'll add that to my bookmarks.

Anyone familiar with the Filtrific stuff? Their skimmer setup with remotely located reservoir is intriguing. Water from the falls actually collects into a small pool that remains at a constant level. When the pump is turned off, the water in the pool drains into the reservoir. Kind of a hybrid pondless. Berkey is the only dealer I could find online, and it appears they only sell complete kits. But Filtrific lists basic component kits being available as well.

9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

When I do pondless fountains these are usually my costs. Liner- usually 15 x 15 piece will do it for a small fountain. Pump - Pondworks pump around 45gpm, with pipe and misc. fittings. One 14" diameter ADS perf pipe with cap, one autofill kit with piping.
    Then add your rock. I am usually in it at around $300 for all my parts plus the boulders. That is why I stay away from those kits, they are way overpriced. Put the extra bucks in your pocket and take your wife out to a nice dinner.

10. BrandonV

hey firefly the one I'm getting ready to build will consist of 2 9k gal/hr pumps and I'm planning on using 2 savio wells and 2 of their 31" filter weirs, how big of a hole do you think i'll need. I was planing on going around 72" X 24" x 24" with the 72" being how wide the fall is.. what do you think?