1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pondless waterfall question

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by jbirdturf, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jbirdturf

jbirdturf LawnSite Member

I was wondering for some of you guys that do pondless features, is there any benefit to using a grate over the resevoir, or do most of you guys just fill it with rocks. It seems that it may be a little more cost effective to use a grate, but I definitely don't want to risk puncturing the liner. Thanks for the advice.

2. The Elements Group

The Elements Group LawnSite Senior Member

you wont puncture the liner if you make sure your snorkel is at the very bottom and then have a ledge to place the crate.(or use rocks to set it on) just make sure it is a good foundation and not shim -shammed..... i have used and still do aqua boxes.... good luck

3. just pondering

just pondering LawnSite Member

We also use the aqua blox or (matrix) you can get more water storage in a smaller basin size then you do using boulders.To protect the liner we put a layer of our underlayment under the matrix to protect the liner just in case.

Jeff Michaels
    Pondering Waters,LLC :usflag:

4. LiteEmUp

LiteEmUp LawnSite Member

Check out SAVIO's Waterfall Well. Comes with a lid for easy access to the pump. Cover with a layer of stone for camoflauge. Once installed you will never have to touch liner again.

5. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

I looked at the savio well and I didn't like the two piece idea. I thought it weaken the product (now their skimmer is awesome). I also use the Aqua Blox or Easy Pros reservoir cubes.

6. scooterbug311

scooterbug311 LawnSite Member

here is an idea. you can get plastic milk crates and use them the same way you use the aqua blocks. and they are way cheaper. but i too agree that aqua block ideas is great. talk to your local fab shop and have a grate built large enough to go over your liner ao it wont poke it. there are some ideas for you to chew on