pondless waterfall questions for new guy

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by willywebb@charter.net, Jan 6, 2005.

1. willywebb@charter.net

willywebb@charter.net LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of installing a pondless waterfall, I am thinking of using a 55 gallon plastic barrel for my under gravel catch basin (cutting a hole in the lid for pump acess, and drilling lots of holes in the side) my question is-- "will it work?" , will the pump be noisy?, what size pump do I need for a 6 foot rise? Also, do I need the falls filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

How far is it from the pump to the top of the falls? How wide is the stream or falls outlet? The falls filter will help with filtering the water.

3. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

i built a couple of pondless waterfall the last few years and the pump is in a housing connected to the catch basin [that is made of pond liner directly under the falls.] the pump doesn't sound loud at all.the smaller the catch basin the more often water will need to be added [evaporation].i used a drip line fitting connected to the sprinkler system.
    the pump for a six foot rise would be determined by the amount of water you want to flow over the falls.
    one pondless falls i built my long time customer wanted three separate falls on top of each other. so i carved two huge lava rocks into bowls for the water to fall into.
    mj

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic