Pondless waterfall vault

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by muddywater, Jun 13, 2012.

1. LeeRobinson

LeeRobinson LawnSite Member

I only posted it as an option...assuming one could bury and hide the cow bucket with something cosmetic and put their pump in it...all hidden.

I wouldn't think one would need to be a genius to understand a little bit about a water reservoir for basically a "sump pump" to pump water back up a hill. If I am wrong...my bad.

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I did this as a "homeowner" several years ago. I don't know if it will help or get me laughed at, but here it is...

[​IMG]

I used a small container I bought at a water garden supply place.
    I used bricks to support the weight of the vessel and covered it with a drop-ceiling light grid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

No laughter. Looks quite good. You used a planting container of sufficient volume made from fairly heavy ABS, you provided support for the small urn and a grid to support the decorative rocks. For a 5 foot urn the OP will need more reservoir space and considerably more support.
    Nice photos, btw!

4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get a piece of copper pipe and slide over that black bubbler for a classier look.

I searched ebay for vaults today and couldnt believe the prices.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. tadpole

Professionally installed quality Water Features are not and will never be a Thrift Store item. Specialty luxury items never are. It's the nature of the beast.

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks. The whole thing was my first attempt at such things.

I could have gone out and bought one of those "kits" and been done with it, but I wanted something unique, and we wanted a blue pot, as we were planning a "blue garden" for that section.
    I built the wall as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to say it was 6 years ago that I built it and it hasn't moved. (PA winters) Every stone is solid. I enjoyed building it, but it's a lot of work doing it by yourself, so that's why I stick to mowing and such. ;)

Thanks for the tip!!!

7. muddywater

Either way its a rip off. I would rather make more profit, or discount the job to get it. Maybe paying $300 for a piece of plastic makes you feel more professional? It makes me feel like a sucker!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. tadpole

When I use manufactured components, it is done so because I know that a considerable amount of research and engineering have gone into the development of that product with the result being that I am confident that the product will generally meet the needs for which it is designed. That is not to say that I will not improvise on occasion.
    The idea of using less than ideal materials for a project in order to increase the profit margin is unquestionably UN-professional and results in the customer being made as the sucker for paying for something of lower quality than they had bargained for.

9. muddywater

Yeah anything i would improvise would be of the same quality or better than a $10 piece of engineered plastic and neither i or the customer would pay unnessary costs. I know the savings i will have not using a vault on my current project will keep the project within my clients budget and she will be able to have a nicer water feature. And quality will not be sacrificed. Client is going to get a nice affordable water feature and we get to bill out for 30 man hours. Win-win.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. tadpole

I would be interested in seeing your eventual solution. I sure others on this forum would also be interested. Post your final list of materials and components, and maybe a photo or two of the construction stages.