1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pondless waterfall vault

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by muddywater, Jun 13, 2012.

1. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

This was a rebuild from a previous contractor installing a leaking pond, but basically redid the whole thing with existing stone and added a few stones for a slight waterfall.

waterfall1.jpg

2. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

Interesting... so how many have you done?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. turner_landscaping

The urn doesnt look bad..
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. muddywater

How can you say that when you don't know site conditions? I have a 3 man landscape crew, so I bill out for an entire day for them to come on site for a job. I can't just lay off a couple full time guys for a day... at least I don't operate like that.

But the job will include a small stack stone wall, piping an autofill from a hard to access point, and mobilization of materials. $1500- $1800 sounds a little cheap to me. I have estimated material cost to be around $800 for the stone, stack stone for the wall, mortar for the wall, bubbler urn/water feature, autofill, liner, vault, plant material etc. I might be over estimating my material a bit, because I don't do water features every day, but I would rather be safe.

5. turner_landscaping

The urn doesnt look bad.. the waterfall is way tall doesnt look natural to on the pool. It looks like a big pile of rocks w water. Instead of going taller go wider so iy doesnt look like a dome. Last pond well.. lets just say it was an improvement for the previous contractor i asume
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. turner_landscaping

I said water fearture at that price read the post.. all the other stuff is extra on top
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. muddywater

To be honest, not as much experience as I would like! I love water features and I would love to learn as much as I can about them. I know it is a learned fine art, and I really have respect for guys that can put together a natural looking waterfall.

Of course, my little urn project is probably not too exciting to yall, but I look forward to the chance to do something a little more creative than what we do day in day out... plant installs, irrigation, sod etc.

8. LeeRobinson

LeeRobinson LawnSite Member

Again...I don't have a dog in this fight...but...I agree with this...but would like to place emphasis on the underlined statement above.

I have seen many poor quality but expensive "pre-packaged" specialty items that were for dummies that had no ingenuity or knowledge as to how to make a superior product on their own.

So, while I don't build these things a hidden heavy duty plastic reservoir is still a hidden heavy duty plastic reservoir...and in terms of professionalism...I for one WOULD THINK it would be very professional for a quality builder to use substitute items that are of equal or superior quality but lower cost...IF (and only if) they also passed a significant portion of those savings onto the customer.

This way a customer can get a NICER unit for the same amount of money OR an equal unit for less money.

As long as quality doesn't suffer AND there is no dishonesty, then there is no lack of professionalism.

9. muddywater

Actually we ended up cutting the pool deck and adding more plant material to soften the rocks, and planted fig ivey on in the planters to soften the rock.

Here is a photo after the plant material... BUT if you notice the homeowner had his pool guy F@#$ up my waterfall by making the waterfall come out in a sheet instead of naturally flowing down the rocks like I had it before. Oh well...

waterfall4.jpg

10. turner_landscaping

Anything that deals w waterfeatures gets me excited as i do them everyday doesn't matter how big or small. U can always find ways to improve urself even us old timers.. especialy the bearded tadpole lol..
    Posted via Mobile Device