Pondless waterfall...what to use

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by hessie, Jan 23, 2008.

1. hessie

hessie LawnSite Member

I just looked at a job to build a pondless waterfall and im not sure what kit i should be using, there are so many to choose from and i wanted some feedback on which one is the best bang for your buck!! Thanks

2. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

I,ve made my own, they're pretty easy to figure out, a trip to home depot, aside from your rubber and ground batting, should take care of what you need, your main item is what you want to spend on the pump.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We do LOTS of pondless waterfalls. Just take a look at a few I've posted to our website.

As for kits, I can tell you right now don't waste your money on the ones that come from AquaScapes. They are hella expensive and you can make your own version of the same thing for much less.

I don't do kits. I just buy each part individually. But if you want to use a kit, I think the one at the bottom of this page is pretty much what you need;

http://www.azponds.com/NEW Pond kits.htm

That kit is pretty much what I buy individually. In addition to that kit, you'll need a PVC one-way check valve, a PVC ball valve (to control flow), some Flex-PVC piping, a pond liner, rock, and gravel.

4. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Check it out

Aquascapes vault well snorkell thingy, $700 with the centipede and a cap...

Big irrigation control valve box $35, drill 1" holes it. figure out a way to get the pvc in it.

for the top if u wanna do a bog...get a irrigation drain basin with a grate on top and stick the pipe in it. cover it with rock and peagravel.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Jason landscape is right. The Aquascape thing is WAY WAY WAY overpriced and overkill too. We often use valve boxes or valve boxes with a few valve box extensions instead.

PondEco also makes a nice, inexpensive pre-drilled pondless waterfall "vault" that sells for only $115.00 It does about the same thing as the $700 Aquascapes snorkel thingy.

One thing I'd add to what Jason said, the holes don't even have to be 1". I used to drill holes that big. But just a bunch of quick holes with a 3/8" drill bit works just fine. It allows plenty of water to get in quickly enough.

6. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

Hessie,

I founded and manage the water gardening division for the company I work for. We are distributors and authorized dealers for just about everything out there. I'd be glad to help you find the right kit or put together a custom kit for you. Let me know if I can help, my email address is trbigcreek@yahoo.com

TR

7. Lightscapes

Lightscapes LawnSite Member

Overkill? I find there is rarely such a thing in the professional contracting market. Most homeowners, if they wanted a DIY-quality installation (which is often what results when using the wrong tool for the job)would be DOING IT THEMSELVES! They hired you because (hopefully) you can install a better product with better workmanship that will last longer, work better, and cause fewer headaches. If you can't (or won't), maybe you shouldn't be taking their money.

Having said that, the Aquascape snorkel and centipede might be $700, but the Aquascape Microsnorkel and centipede is only $280. The micro fits a majority of the projects done and the standard is only used in much larger projects (which helps to justify the price).

8. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

i actualy think my control valve box is way better, not saying this from experience but the valve box is way bigger and makes room for way more water...plus i can stand on it and jump up and down on it all day long... i mean its made for riding mowers to drive across.

9. lawnrich

lawnrich LawnSite Member

Has anyone heard of auqa blocks i just heard about it today and google can't find it.

10. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

an alternative to using rocks....there realy strong