Pool area lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by tonyGub, Aug 26, 2008.

1. tonyGub

tonyGub LawnSite Member

Need some ideas. I have a client who does not want path lights around the pool. there is a large mature tree but it is about 65' from the pool patio. Any ideas.

pool area.JPG
  2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow, talk about a clean slate...

It is so clean that there is nothing to recommend! Perhaps start with a nice landscape plan, a gazebo, outdoor kitchen, privacy screen, chiminea, some garden beds, heck even some shrubbery?? Anything to break up that prairie of a yard.

Right now Im afraid there is nothing to light other then perhaps the extreme perimeter of the property, at least not to my eye.

Not very helpful I know. Makes me glad I live in "God's Country"!
  3. tonyGub

tonyGub LawnSite Member

The original landscape plan had trees and flowering plants around the entire pool but the homeowner decided that their children would destroy it all so it was nixed. There is going to be an outdoor kitchen to the right of the pool (you cant see it in the picture) but it is not in yet.
  4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe some Hunza "puck lights" around the outside edge of the deck to cast light across the surface toward the pool. Other than that, I don't see what you can do (at least with the pool area).
  5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

The Hunza "Path Light - PL1-4" might work in that application depending on the patio materials. If those are dry laid stones then you might be able to core them to accomodate the fixture without cracking them. If that is patterned concrete or any other type of reinforced, wet laid surface then you are not going to be able to install them at this point.

The Hunza product is very low profile, but still might pose a trip hazzard if kids are running around the pool deck all day.

This is a tough one... not much to work with there.
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

my goodness, not much there to work with. Im with Chris and James, those are prob your only options.
  7. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

How about some 120volt colored flood lights up in the trees??? Or some fiber placed in the motor joints if they are sanded in. Then they could have a sparkling walkway. Just follow the lights to the pool.
  8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

How about some wooden or even welded steel arches over the path at appropriate distances for a combination of some ornamental vines and to downlight from? Could be rounded or squared on top as best fits the client's tastes.
  9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

That walkway doesn't look motorized to me...
  10. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know guys, while youre right there is nothing to hit up by the pool(Im thinking disco light might work) there are trees in the background. If that is a view from the house those trees would look nice with some light as a backdrop. Couple that with a dark lense on the pool light and youre good to go.