Pool cleaning service

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mgregm, Aug 14, 2006.

1. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

Was thinking about adding this to my list of services next year, but i think it might make me bite off more than i can chew. With all the houses that have pools i thought it would be a good idea to be able to do customers lawns and pool at same time to save drive time, plus I would be able to work on the yard while whaiting on the pool cleaner. I tried to search the forum and had no luck. I was wondering if you could help me find a pool cleaning forum, equipment needed, and licenses needed in Texas. Also if you think it would be a bad idea for a single operator.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

??????????
    There are pool guys-- There are lawn guys
    Are you going to get grass in the pool or chlorine on the grass.
    I can not think of two more different business. As a company that has professionals in both areas and services with different crews -- Maybe--
    As a solo it sounds like just some jackleg that cant make a living and will do anything for money
    I do not like the idea-- Sorry.

3. Amani

Amani LawnSite Member

I think you might be taking on too much besides you may end up hurting your business.

What I would suggest startinga subdivision of your exixting comapny and give it a different name at try it that way. Not to say that this is the best way, this is just what I would think of doing.

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not do tis either I worked for a pool company when I was younger there is alot more to it than you think. Just like there is alot more to lawn service than cutting grass.Lots of different chemicals you have to learn about to know what reactions happened when mixed on purpose or accident.BAD IDEA in my oppinion

5. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice I am not gonna even worry about it at this point. But I do have to say I did see mulitple companies in the phone book doing lawn and pool care. I am not saying there was alot but about 3 or for i glanced over. So I thought it might be worth considering. Thanks for making the decision easy.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is a COMPLETELY untapped market in this area and there are several people that I know who would be very interested in have the service. It requires some certification (and , but for someone like me that already has the licensing, it would certainly be worthwhile to check out. We'll be doing perimeter sprays next year as well, because I have TOO MANY customers that are paying out big bucks to Orkin for basically nothing at all.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

when working my way through college i took care of motel pools, and have had a inground pool in my fathers yard all my life, which i took care of..

great potential in the right area ill bet, but really not enough pools around here for that , mostly small above ground pools....

but there is a specific knowledge that is required to properly balance the chemicals in a pool, done incorrecly, it can even eat the gunnite away..

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Finally a topic I feel I can lend some insight too! I offer both services but, this was not my original intention. I have had a small lco for quite some time. My best friend operated a small pool care service. We frequently worked together and learned each others skills and route. A family emergency resulted in him having to leave the area. In short I inherited his business for free. This is a good opp but only for the right person. Pools do require a fair amount of knowledge but you can gain this through reading. I personally do pools and lawns on different days. You do not want to track green footprints all over a customers nice white deck. Nor do you want to be washing the dirt off your arms as you service the skimmer and check the chems. I have made a good living at this. Pools need to be serviced year round. Pool customers tend to be less flaky most times. Never had a non-payer. In FL you only need an occupational lic (18.00) but you cannot install pumps, heaters or any other equipment, service only. I now have 90% of my full times customers receiving both services. Hope this helps you.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ericg likes this.
  9. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

Thanks Patriort Services, Dave and Runner, I think I will probly hold off and focus on the lawn care part the first year and then I might try to add a pesticides and pool cleaning devision after that. It is nice to hear that someone does both and seems to like it. :usflag:

10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Hold off on doing pool work. I think being solo, you would waste too much time when you could be out doing what you already know about, lawn mowing. We've had both inground and now an aboveground and pools can be real b!tches somtimes. Somtimes the pool water has a mind of its own and can take ALOT of time, effort, and trial and error with chemicals to get the water right. To me, it just doesnt seem like it would be worth all the headaches and time