Pool coping installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by steveair, Mar 15, 2002.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Beginning another pool project and am spec-ing out the new techo blok neptune block to be used as the coping.

I'm looking for some ideas on installation of the cap, and for that matter, pavers, etc. around a newly installed pool.

The pools are the type with a metal frame, therefore all i have to work with is a 4" wide metal strip. Also, on many of them, there is a plastic strip installed on top of the metal which is associated with holding the liner on, which prevents anything from laying flat across the metal.

My biggest concern is what is the best way to install the cap to the top of the pool. I've been doing some research, and none of the paver sites, ICPI site, etc., seem to have any detailed information on the subject.

My theory is to possibley pour a concrete 'footer' around the pool at the same height of the coping and just wide enough to give me a solid, adequate base to glue the cap too. The only problem is that some of the pools have the strip on top, and I would have to pour concrete on top of the metal also to create a level base.

If I were to do this, how thick should I make the concrete on top of the pool? The strips are only about a 1/2 inch high, but I don't think a 1/2 coat of mortar will adhere well to the metal or hold up over time as a base to glue the cap too. Also, what do you recommend for reinforcing the concrete, ie, rebar, mesh, etc.

I've been toying with the idea of the disposable forms used for concrete around the pool, but not sure if that is really needed. I know if I have to go on top of the metal, then something will be needed though to keep spill over out of the pool.

Any help greately appreciated. I could just bring a mason in but I really want to do this one myself.

steve

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Steveair this one I'd like to have a picture of! How far back does the metal go and do you have enough cap width to pour a ribbon of 6" thick concrete behind this metal cap, level with the cap? You could use that as a base to glue up the cap. It's just hard for me to see without a picture of it.

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Steve...

Looked at that Neptune block myself for a pool job we have coming up.. and really like it alot... only thing is the pool we are doing is all cement, so installation will be a piece a cake.. not like your's... maybe call a pool contractor and see what they do as coping around pools like that.?

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to be very careful about pool coping because it can not have a solid connection to the pool or it will break apart with freeze/thaw.

5. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

steve,

Doesn't allen block have a small rabbit (for lack of a better term) along the botom front edge? This would help get over the plastic pool coping. It may even allow you to use paverbond to attach the coping to the metal.

I once did a job similar to this, instead of coping I poured a 8" concrete border (70mm thick) around the pool and re-enforced it with bloc-loc. Actually I first laid the bricks right up to the plastic coping and discovered that the plastic actuallly needed the support of poured concrete so I removed the soldier border and replaced it with colored concrete. I had a look at it a year and a half after it was installled and can report that all worked out well.

6. steveair

Ok,

here's a sample pic of what the top of the pools look like:

http://communities.msn.com/GuidosEq...peprojects.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1197

The has a metal rail on top, and sometimes there is that plactic lip, as you can see in the picture, that is part of the liner system that cannot be removed and that makes it not possible to glue directly to the metal........not to say I would want to glue directly to the metal.

The plastic section you see is part of the steps going into the pool. This, also, is a question I have as to how would go about workig on top of that?

Thanks for all replies:)

steve

PS.... in case your wondering (as I am sure you all are) this was a project I snuck onto to get a picture of.......what a mess. This is what I DO NOT WANT TO DO........this contractor is acutually just placing the bull nose papers on top of the metal and 'tetering' on the plastic. He then filled the gap in between with paver bond! The guy is asking me why it hasn't set up yet, say its been A WEEK already and they aren't solid.....talk about a lawsuit ready to happen! Hey, I just do the drawings for these guys, I want nothing else from there on!

Sometimes it absolutely blows my mind what you see other guys do sometimes!

7. steveair

Oh,

and in case I lost you on the forms I was talking about, here's a link to a manufacturer:

http://www.stegmeier.com/stamp_a_form.htm

I would think this would be the way to go to pour a concrete apron around the pool to attach the cap to. They are disposable and get thrown away, so I think the cost is low, but haven't gotten any prices yet.

steve

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It looks like you could pour concrete behind the pool don't know about your block width?
    As far as gluing pavers down around water it can be done,I've glued pavers underwater once:) we used a epoxy that displaces the water, the stuff an't cheap if I remember right about $50 a quart.