Pool deck with pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Hokie84, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

I am replacing the old concrete around a pool with new pavers. The coping is in good shape and is remaining in place. This is a first for me, and I have received conflicting advise on what to do between the pavers and existing coping. Everything from an edge restraint with foam backer rod and self-leveling caulk, to nothing but leaving a slightly wider gap for the poly sand.
    So, what is the correct way to install the pavers next to the existing coping?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Never done it myself, but I have seen it done with a vinyl expansion joint, it is at a home we maintain and was done about 5 yrs ago, so signs of anything going south yet.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

It was aways my understand that if you were putting pavers or any dry laid decking around a pool that it was not neccessary to caulk a expansion joint since its a flexible paving system. Now if you were doing stamped crete or a masonry deck, it would be a different story.

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

what we have been told to do and it makes sense to me, is to put foam expansion between the pavers and the coping. then fill the top with a self leveling caulk. this allows the pavers to heave up in a frost without chipping the fixed coping. the caulk will flex as well, as it is designed to do that. just needs to be the right caulk.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

There is supposed to be a joint and caulking in place if you are installing over a slab. If your coping is on a footing and you are floating the rest you can get away with a 3/8" gap and filling with poly. That will have enough give.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We do countless pool decks.

Never have we used any caulking.

We just install pavers up to the coping.

And backfill with poly sand.

DONE!

7. McKeeLand

Here is a good example, not my job, of what can happen if there is no expansion between pavers and the mortared in place pavers. its not so much for the horizontal expansion, but the vertical movement of the pavers when the sand and base freeze and expand.

Picture18.jpg

8. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

That looks like damage done by a plate tamper when tamping interlocking pavers in place.

9. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

The dry laid pavers are flexible, and the mortared coping is not. That is a perfect picture for an example. A vinyl exspansion joint would prevent that..

10. McKeeLand

here is the last pool deck we did. the foam expansion is very easy to put in while your laying. leave it high until after you apply your poly sand. then cut it down below finish height and fill with self leveling caulk. to me its a easy and inexpensive safe guard against damage from expansion. simple fact is you have something very flexible upagainst something very rigid.

Job and vacation 041.jpg