Lawn Care Forum banner

pool design problem

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BrandonV 
#1 ·
I got a job to at least design a landscape on a pool area with possibility of the installation too. My problem is that the back side of the pool is only 1 foot between the pool apron and the fence. This is the area that is directly in view from the deck and house. Other than some tight upright grass and possibly sedums I don't know what to put in there that won't get in the way of the people using the pool. Should I not put anything in there. the total distance of the fence is 62'. I have a design for the corners and the other sides already. Any thoughts and thanks in advance. Tried to put on a picture and it said upload failed.

#2 ·
Climbers on trellises. Maybe you are too cold for euonymus manhatten or silver king. Climbing rose or climbing hydrangea are also good 2 dimensional plants. You could espalier all kinds of things. Blue Atlas Cedar and apple trees are often espaliered and look really nice.

#3 ·
Climbers on trellises. Maybe you are too cold for euonymus manhatten or silver king. Climbing rose or climbing hydrangea are also good 2 dimensional plants. You could espalier all kinds of things. Blue Atlas Cedar and apple trees are often espaliered and look really nice.
Agreed, I would stick with climbing plants.

Depending on the client, you could also think about some annual vines such as the Spanish Flag or Cardinal Climber (non-invasive morning glories). The advantage of the annual vines is that you can clean out the area every year that much easier.

That and the hummingbirds that are attracted to them might give some extra interest.

#7 ·
Espaliered trees (apple or pears are most common) look great year round, with smaller perennials at their base. Depends on exposure.... Hostas come in thousands of varieties, ornamental grasses are good also.
Your ideas of a trellis with climbers is good also. Consider annual vines as you will get quicker growth, season long flower, and if you didn't like what you planted one year, you can change it. Plus, if you use a decorative trellis, it will look good in the off season.
Just my 2 pennies worth. Good luck!

#8 ·
Annual vines??? Go for some roses trained up with landscape wire.?.. Actually I saw one person who trained a row of camellia in a small area like that. Roses = thorns, not something you would want little kids running into

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.