Pool pump for a pond?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by drsogr, Mar 3, 2007.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you be able to use a pool pump for a pond? I might be getting ahold of a free pool pump...I was thinking of using it for a pond.

Just curious if it would work! What would the downfalls be?

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

They work fine if the pond is large enough.

They put out pretty high GPM and use a lot more power than typical pumps. They are also very noisy unless you get the very quiet ones. If you can work around those items then they are a good fit. I have a few big ponds with pool pumps.

I also did a fountain once with a pool pump. It was a long run to the fountain and it had 4 bubbler's and the 4" of lift. It worked out great, I had plenty of room around the fountain for flowers and plants because of the ability to locate the pump 70 ft away.

As the guy that always has to replace pumps after the install guy is out of business I absolutely hate pumps in the fountain or the pond for that matter.

The quiet pool pump was less than 300 and much more powerful than typical pond pumps. I would have been looking at 600 or more for an Oase and had all the piping restrictions to deal with.

You need to use a pool wholesale distributor to get good prices. This is a market that I find they have huge mark up from wholesale to retail.

3. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

Call SCP for wholesale pricing

(918)-250-6106