Pool Service & Lawn Business Combination? Need Advice??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Vanessa31, May 14, 2005.

1. Vanessa31

Vanessa31 LawnSite Member

hello everyone I have a question, me and my husband were going to buy 80 pool cleaning accounts, and that would only take 4 days for us to do, so we thought about maybe adding lawn care to it also, there is a business I had mentioned that costs $7.000 and we were thinking of buying it and since it only takes the owner a day and a half to do the work , I figure maybe we can combine the 2 businesses, but I am wondering if this is the right move, I mean of course when the company grows we will get employees to help us out, but I am so confused as to what we should do

I figure that maybe we can offer the pool service customers lawn care also and vice versa, that way we can do them both the same day and charge customers less if they get both services. by the way i live in florida and both businesses make alot of money now since this is the busy season for the lawn care biz since it rains so much.

I would do the pool cleaning and he does the lawn? I heard there is one company here that does this combined business, but i am not sure how hard it will be to mantain 2 businesses, we just basically want to keep busy and work 7 days if we have to, we have been through alot financially in the past few years and just want to make the right move.

I was not sure if maybe we should buy more pool accounts instead of forget the lawn biz or get into both, also what kind of invoicing do you guys use?

below are the details fo the biz for sale that were thinking of buying
    Open trailer

Great dane 150 hrs new under warranty

2 sets of blades with great dane

2 echo weed wackers

1 echo back back mower

6.5 hp push back lawnboy mower

he has 20 accounts and nets $20-$25,000/year
    works only on saturdays and one other afternoon a week, he has been in business for 3 years, Oh and he is selling the business because he joined the army and is leaving taking off next month.
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Vanessa31,

I would suggest first step is to create a business plan and see what it would take to get to where you want to be.

Business plan questions are located here.

If you want to go through that and fill in the information, I can get a business consultant and a cpa to help you further and for free. If you would like their help let me know. Send me an email