Pools and grass mess

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Threeponys, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Threeponys

Threeponys LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Need the advice from the ol' salty dogs on ths one.
    Have a customer that has provided me with many lawns through her business. Last week she ask that I start cutting her yard and the company office - year packages.

SHE HAS A BIG POOL and said no grass in there. I'm looking to trim, cut at least 3' out w/bagger and then blow any excess away. Right or wrong?
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have customers that have pool areas, and I use a 21 inch toro mower. It only mulches or bags and for sure I am not going to bag it. Mulch it trim, blow clippings off walkway around pool towards the lawn. Never had a problem doing it this way.
  3. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Sounds like how I would handle it. You might have a problem on a windy day or the direction of the wind.:cry:
  4. str8stripes

str8stripes LawnSite Member

I mow several properites with pools. I usually mow around them with a 36"WB, I just make a few passes around the pool, blowing the discharge away from the water. When I trim I do the same thing, I make sure the string is rotating away from the pool. Very little ever gets in the pool and what does I just pickup with the pool skimmer. Hope this helps.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Pools gotta love 'em. I have about 4 each year to navigate around. Here in kansas with all the wind, getting grass in the pool is almost unavoidable. The most of it comes from edging/trimming, as I catch all my lawns nearly all of the time. A trick I found when the wind is blowing is to skip the edging on the side that will be blown into the pool.
    Yeah it dosn't look like I finished the job but my customers are understanding and appreciate the fact I'm looking out for their pool equipment. Nothing more incriminating than a skimmer basket full of cut grass! lol! I would advise bagging more than 3' out though, turning around while blowing the grass will put it in the water, also if they have a lot of foot traffic through the lawn then straight into the pool the clippings on the lawn stick to wet feet and get dragged into the water. Good luck and if you happen to "fall in" on a 100 deg. day, hey it's been known to happen! :D
  6. My own yard has an inground pool and no matter what you do there will still get grass in it , i blow them off the deck , but after that better get to know how to run a skimmer. i use my 21 to trim around it and run the trimmer real slow but the wind still get them.
  7. we cut quite of few motels and resorts with pools.We always trim around the pools first then use a mulching mower around the area and try to cut a pattern with the wind.After we mow we blow the pool decks off and check the pools for grass.If there is any grass in the pool we skim with a net.Alot of hassle
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

That darn wind..........it's a funny thing...........especially when you get to the lawn with the pool.:cry:

Good luck is about all I can say. Seems no matter what you try there will always be that little "gust" that's gonna getcha.

I tell my pool owners that we'll make every attempt but we cannot and will not make a guarantee.........the skimmer will take care of the floaters and the vacuum will get what sinks. Ain't got time to clean pools.
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bag or much it you will have a lot less time involved cleaning up the grass from the pool. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Walker with the GHS deck. Still workin on the one hand technique.

wkeed (small).jpg