poor and hungry

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by whtrash73, Oct 25, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never dodged bullets...BUT....I have worked at UPS...Id rather mow acre lots with a 21" than go back to that lol I loaded 3 trucks every morning from 4am to 8am....for a year....and it about killed me. If you've never worked for UPS...you can't possibly relate...TRUST ME!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh no, further up north they run you off the road and if you don't move, splat.
    I'm telling you, even if you're mowing grass alongside with a small thousand-pound Hydromower, watch out.

Now if you're in a big loader like a Caterpillar then they usually respect you.

3. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

well my friend i live about 45min up the road from you.i do know lots of people over that way and if you are looking for a job you can find one there easy.it may not be what you want but will put food on the table.i would be glad to offer some help but with a attitude like that i dont know.

4. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Growing up I missed plenty But then a few when i got older. Here is what i did to correct the problem and please do not take this the wrong way. I TOOK THE FIRST JOB THAT CAME MY WAY. I hated it but i did it for 2 years and i did my very best at and was promoted twice, But I hated it (a plumbers helper always has to do the crappy work)

5. whtrash73

whtrash73 LawnSite Member

thank yall i got some good leads now! its just when a man needs work real bad and some one tells him to hold up a card-board sign and is he joking it kinda makes me mad.my attitude is good except when people joke about my serious situation.

6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck to you and I hpe you get back on your feet soon

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

what about a loacl mall or shopping center? they are always looking for seasonal people. try a job that makes comission and sell lots of stuff. do you have a truck? get a plow and you can make tons of money. but for starting out to get quick cash, apply for a retail job.

8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

First year or two is hard. Check out the local Wal Mart. They usually run a stocking crew from 2000 to 0400. Perfect schedule to work and build your business till you can afford to go full time.

9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

that would not help here in Alabama,we get snow maybe 1 time a year and its only 6in then.

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

forgot about that, i was thinking about here, where you can get entire sub-divions knock it off in an hour and a half and have made $800. but i still think that you'll make more this time of year doing retail than you would starting out on landscaping. save up some money over the winter and start up in the spring. Advertising is pretty cheap, just make up some flyers, and post an add in the paper.

Good Luck!