poor boy's space saver

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MStine315, Dec 10, 2007.

1. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a 200 gal. Lesco sprayer I "converted" into a space saver. I can still get a pallet of fert. behind it in an 8' box. It was fairly simple. If you have a welder and torch you could have it done in a day or so. These sprayers are a dime a dozen on e-bay, 'cause nobody wants 'em now that the real space savers are out. Anyway, I welded 2 uprights on the end of the sprayer that didn't have the engine and reel on it, and moved the reel to that end. I cut the "pad" the engine and pump were on and raised it up the where the reel was, then I replumbed from the intake on the tank up to the pump, and across the sprayer from the pump to the reel. Hopefully this helps someone out there. With all I've gotten from Lawnsite, I'd like to contribute something.

DSC01214.5.jpg

DSC01219.5.jpg

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

That looks real good! I have been thinking of starting up a dedicated fert truck for next year. That gives me some good ideas! Thanks!

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

It looks a hell of a lot more balanced than the real Space Savers too!

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

MStine

Great job and what I like is the whole unit can easily be taken out as one unit. I did something like that with a Northern Skid Sprayer (BTW What a piece of crap) only I had to cut the frame into 3 different pieces. The Motor and reel were mounted just above the wheel wells. Your design is much better.

The only small problem I can see, is the need for Larger rear view mirrors mounted on both doors to see around the motor and reel. Large mirrors sticking out the side of the truck can be a PITA. I recently hit a phone pole with my right hand mirror while trying to park with my cab-over at a job in the historic district of my town. Trying to drive home without a right hand mirror was dangerous. When I replaced it I also put a third mirror on my right hand door to see at the only 2, 60 degree corners in my small town.

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

That's one of the reasons I went with a Gregson-Clarke skid. They have the same type of balanced design instead of the reel and pump being at the same end. You did a great job there Marc!

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Marc

I have been thinking of a few different ways to convert my tank sprayer into a space saver. I really like what you did, especially with the engine and will be using some of your ideas.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

7. MStine315

Glad I got something right! Thanks for the great comments. Visibility IS one down side to this Ric. In fact, I fold my rearview mirror right up out of the way, because all you see is tank. That is one up side to the "real" space saver (which I have one of, too, btw). One thing about the Chevy's, too, is that trailer mirrors pull out away from the truck which helps with visibility. I did take some creative liberties from other units on the market, but had this sprayer already. These are really good units, it's just that in their original form that took up WAY too much space.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I'd probably. weld or bolt some sort of guard around the engine cylinder since it kinda sticks out in the wind nice looking setup...how did you hand the batty?

I also like the Passenger side hose reel....much better than having it hang off the back of the truck... and much more logical...

9. MStine315

I had it hard wired to the truck at one point, but for this past year I put a deep cycle battery in. It fits perfectly between the frame and truck bed/liner directly under the hose reel.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

MStine

I had to build Stands for the engine and hose reel but kept them inside the truck bed just over the wheel wells. It did not give me as much extra room as your design. I still have the same truck but the bed rusted off and I now have a wood flat bed on it with a different set up. I now used a 325 gallon Skid Tank for fresh water and use a Big Boat Bilge pump to fill a Lesco 50 gallon skid sprayer. This allows me to custom mix small amounts in the field. Insurance on this truck is only $ 40 a month, so if I use it once a month it pays for it's self. If it falls a part, it owes me nothing since it has paid for it's self a long time ago.