Poor cut with Honda Harmony.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I only use this mower on 3 of our accounts. This is a pitiful cutting machine. It leaves more standing grass than it cuts. I know it's not commercial but I would expect it to have a half decent cut. The sad part is that I read a post that I made a year ago about buying a honda harmony and taking it back after 1 day because of the poor cut quality. I bought a residential Lawnboy instead and was very happy with the cut until the engine seized. I was in a bind and went to Home Depot and bought a returned Honda for 1/2 price after my lawnboy gave out. Now I am searching for another trim mower and ran accross my old post about the Honda. It's sad when you can't even remember buying a mower. The Honda and the Lawnboy cost me about $700 together. I got a good YEAR out of them even with limited use. Maybe I'll put the Honda engine on the Lawnboy deck!! Lesson learned ! I'll buy commercial next time. Yes the blades are sharp and the deck is clean and even.

2. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are running the double blade which is what came with the mower stock switch to a single blade but go to a dealer and tell them the problem and they should be able to get you the right blade thats what i did and it helped out alot but still i know exactly where your coming from when you buy a new mower and a honda at that the damn thing should cut and cut good good luck

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am surprised to hear that about the Harmony. Honda mowers are top notch, even that model. I would definitely take it to the dealer and figure out what the problem is. Be 100% sure all of the wheels are set to the same level.

We use all Commercial Hondas and get perfect results.

4. totallpm

totallpm LawnSite Member
    from Utah

The Honda poly deck cuts great and they claim that the motor is commercial. However the wheels are hollow plastic and the trans is not commercial. We have one as a back up and cuts great.

Ithink you are a good example of spending just a little extra to get better performance and reliability.

Repairs and down time will kill you.

We cut with Honda Commercial and have great results.

Kevin Total Landscaping

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure you didnt buy the same mower back? LOL that would be hillarious... Take it to a honda dealer fire it up and show them what its not doing (cutting) and see what thay say. It sould not be that bad...

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you forgot to mix the oil didn't you?:)

7. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have had 2 homeowner hondas and a commercial. I still run the commercial as my trim mower and it does leave a LOT of grass sticking up everywhere. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it. I to only does it in St. Augustine and that is what I primarily mow. I think my next mower will be a Toro Susuki 2-stroke.