1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Poor Maintenance On Echo 261T Trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Dec 26, 2012.

1. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I was getting at in my previous post.I too have had an intermittent no run caused by a chaffed compromised grounding wire.Thats why I suggested to completely unplug it from the coil and eliminate it from the equation . Could be bleeding off enough current in the spark to not allow it to fire under compression.Spark plug in open air you may see some spark there.

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Determination separates the wannabe mechanics from the truly gifted...
    Most think the job is easy just because you diagnosed and fixed a trimmer in 5 minutes..
    They don't realize how many engines kicked your ass to make you so smart...
    They also complain about paying a minimum charge when you make it look easy...
    Pay Your Dues.....To The Victor Go The Spoils....

Thanx for the pictoral threads Ed....
    Happy New Year.....Slapper

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

The only thing left is a sheared flywheel key/crank keyway.
    What caused the piston to bust up a skirt?
    And how can you possibly work on anything that filthy????

4. piston slapper

Cracked or leaking isoblock....the only thing with a clean spot on the engine..

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

I'm assumin' he already checked that out, since he had the carb and cylinder off.

I could be wrong, but from readin' some of his other posts, it appears as though he re-uses gaskets, wrist-pin clips etc., so anythings possible!

6. piston slapper

I hear you Fish...
    Could be a chinese sparkplug...I had one that would spark when laid against the cylinder...
    But wouldn't hit a lick under compression...

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

You are just at the edge at 90 psi, anything less and I would do a complete rebuild or strip it for parts.

If you are leaking oil, it's got to be coming from a bad/leaking/warped cylinder base or a warped isoblock

A couple tricks you can try, double up on the cylinder gaskets, or get some high temperature gasket sealer and put some on both sides of the gasket (s)

If it is the isoblock, take some fine emery paper, on a flat smooth surface and sand it down untill you are flat on both sides. If the isoblock is warped, your first few passes will highlight the high points. You can also use the high temp gasket sealer here too.

Happy New Year

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In taking it apart to do the vac test I pulled the flywheel. To my surprise there was a lot of caked gunk back there, something I couldn't see when I peeped behind with the flywheel on.

060.jpg
    061.jpg

I did the vac test and it was holding at about 45...don't know parameters...in. of mercury or something.
    062.jpg

Then I got the bright idea to do a pressure test. But instead of using my brake vac device I got the leak tester. So I sit pressure at 40 and though i felt a small leak so I went to 50.

064.jpg
    This got in before the picture of glasses
    I decided to put on NEW gaskets and a NEW seal on flywheel side(other side already done) and give her a try. I checked the iso plate for flatness. But it was changed out anyway.

065.jpg

Just as I was lowering my face toward the air leak the crankshaft seal blew out and hit my grasses:hammerhead:

063.jpg
    Got to order seal....Happy New Year

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

064.jpg

063.jpg

065.jpg

9. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Breezmister, 90 psi is borderline. Add anything else, like a weak/intermittent spark and it probably won't run. You may well have 2 problems interacting, with one of them being the compression.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Coil replaced under warrant. I kinda have to agree but don't know where else to go. It passed vac test. The carb works on another unit that measured 90psi.