Poor man's maintenance stand

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Zoso, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Zoso

Zoso LawnSite Member

Well I'm the king of overkill because I just ordered a Hustler Super Z 72" with a 28 Horse EFI for my personal use. I will be attempting as much of the maintenance as I can so I'm curious how you guys get under your big ZTR's to clean the deck, take blades on/off etc... Anyone have a clever inexpensive stand or something similar?

Or...

Is it smarter to just take the deck off and flip it over?

2. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

Just drive the front swivel wheels up on some stands. or take a few concrete blocks and lay some 2 - 3 foot pieces of board on top, and drive the front swivelers up the boards. what ever you do dont get the front up to high or you'll be staring at the clouds ! :) Hope this Helps !

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Mny people just use the gate of their trailer...that is the cheapest.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Hope your lawn is relatively flat. Those wide decks will scalp sometimes. You may be interested in a jungle jack http://www.junglejimsap.com/jack.html Hope you enjoy your new mower. :waving:

5. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

I have a Jungle Jack that works really well for my 61" Grasshopper and 36" Hustler. It is very portable and takes up little room in the shop. You just need smooth surface to operate it easily.
    I tried the car ramps but found them to be in the way..even just one was still too much. I wanted to have more room to work.

6. Zoso

Zoso LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips guys.

Out4now: Thanks for the link. Point taken on the scalping. I just mowed the yard at the house I'm renting and will say that scalping is an issue. The yard is mostly flat except for one section with uneveness and of course the slope next to the road. The 60" units I demo'd didn't scalp at all but the 72" I bought does. My reason for buying the 72" was because of the 3.2 acres of flat yard I'll be mowing when we build in the next year or so.

7. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

As far as lifting the deck for blade change or cleaning, I use a hi-lift floor jack and jack stands.
    1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" torque wrench (to re-tighten) the blades. I can change the 3 blades in about 10-15 minutes.
    I've seen the Jungle Jack and hear good things about it also, but I would still use jack stands :waving:
    Greg

8. CC-XG2703-60

CC-XG2703-60 LawnSite Member

My bro. & I built an A-frame out of 1.5 inch pipe he had. We made it so the legs can be removed to haul the whole thing in a pickup. I bought a 1/2 ton hoist,have to set it up each time I lift the mower. I use a safety chain also,after I get the deck at a 45* angle.

9. Zoso

Zoso LawnSite Member

CC-

Very interesting. I'd love to see a picture of that.

GripB -

Thanks for the good info.

10. CC-XG2703-60

CC-XG2703-60 LawnSite Member

Getting a camera to post pictures is one of my future goals.
    I you have a shop or someplace to hang a chainhoist ,that would work better,you wouldn't have to set it up each time,but youwould be shoveling the stuff up to take outside,though.