1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's Mower AC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer (the good one) just showed me a cooling system they put together for a government contract.

I didn't have my camera, but I will try to remember it tomorrow when I stop by there.

Toro Z master with ROPS
    Add a Plastic roof with support brackets over the entire seating area.
    Cut a 18" diameter hole in the plastic roof.
    Mount an electric radiator fan over the hole blowing down.
    mount a hibachi grill on the bottom of hole to keep your head and fingers out of the fan.
    attach radiator electric system to mower electric system.
    attach inline on/off switch

Look cool because you are. I gave it a test. dropped air temp by 15 degrees.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

... tax dollars at work.
  3. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

Doesn't Toro or some other manufacturer already have that?
  4. Precision

Toro doesn't, maybe someone else does as standard. But this is some kind of aftermarket kit that my dealer bought. Now he sees that he could have done it himself for 1/2 the price.

But he got paid. so no foul.
  5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Or go to an auto parts store or marine supply and buy a 12 volt oscillating fan, connect the positive and negative leads, flip the switch, and get a bl....err, feel the breeze !
  6. Precision

oscillating fan my eye.

This thing really moves some air. It is like having a ceiling fan on high but only a foot over your head. Or 6 inches for you taller guys.

Pictures to come later.
  7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Toro isoffering a fan set up as an option this year, it's like $400. It actually looked pretty neat. Seems like it would help for the heat but also for bug season and in dusty conditions. It was mounted on the ROPS kind of like a roof over your head. It really put out some airflow. I would be worried about ripping it off, it really eliminates getting under or close to trees.
  8. Precision

Here is a picture.