Poor man's soil test

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Marcos, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I found this interesting tidbit on another website, and thought it would be worth posting here.
    (I remember...my dad used to do this sometimes)

This soil test is for the truly adventurous. But it is also very inexpensive and will give you a rough estimate of the pH level of your soil.

Gather two samples of soil and place them in separate glass jars. You should fill the jars about 1/3 full of soil. Next add water to both to create mud. Next, add a tablespoon of baking soda to one jar and a tablespoon of vinegar to the other.
    If the jar with the vinegar begins to fizz, then you have acidic soil. If the jar with the baking soda begins to fizz, then you have alkaline soil. If neither jar begins to fizz, then you have neutral soil.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marco

I believe you have that backwards. If the Vinegar reacts then the soil is alkaline. If the baking soda reacts then the soil is acidic.

3. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

Well I tell you, sometimes there is some real crazy thoughts/ideas on this site but this one is a must try for me. Great post. Thanks.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

My el-cheapo pH meter doesn't fizzle an stuff. This sounds much more exciting! J/K Marcos.... all in fun. Reminds me of those kid's chemistry sets when I was a kid... a couple of centuries ago. They stopped making them after several incidents of singed eyebrows, some controlled explosions and several house fires.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm...
    No, that's exactly how it was worded...
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about668.html

But mistakes do happen!
    It's worth double-checking.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Thanks Marcos. Interesting stuff. I use a Kelway pH meter (hand held & fast). A.M. Leonard has 'em for about $100.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marco

What do you expect when you go to a site like that????

Pour Vinegar into a acid like battery acid Then pour Vinegar into baking soda. Which shows the greater reaction??? I rest my case.

8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to go way back try tasting the soil.
    Thats where the "sweet" and "sour" terms come from.