poor mileage deisel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cut-rite, Jan 6, 2001.

1. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

I have a 97 gmc 1 ton dually 4 spd automatic with the 6.5 turbo and 4.10 gears . It has 45000 miles and a 2-3 yard dump body,I am only getting about 9.5 miles to the gallon (highway 25%load before plowing season) I have changed the filters and checked the obvious. Any suguestions? What shoud I be getting? thanks, brad

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What size tires are you running? This seems low, however the bigger the tire, the less miles traveled and thus less mpg.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have low power?hwta kind of mileage did it used to get?that is a heavy truck and i dont think its all that bad if your foot's in it a lot.My Dad just sold his 94 6.5 turbo ,it was in a shortbox 2wd 94'and had 3.42's.Its best mileage was 15 on the highway,a 350 could get better#'s.

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have that same truck, and I get around 12-14 mpg depending on the load, and I to have about 45K on it.
    Go to http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com, they are a gm exclusive web site, and someone will know that answer.
    Dino

5. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

more info- tire size stock 225-75-16 -small for 1 ton .I have only had this truck for 10,000 miles ,mileage has gotten consistently worse from about 12.5 down to present9.5 (same load and conditions). thanks,brad

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

we changed to p235/85/16
    It lowers rpms at highway speeds.
    Dino