1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well, last fall I "inherited" a 1989 Toro 8-32 RER (rear engine riding mower). This thing has a 32" single blade mower, 8hp B&S I/C engine and a 5 speed Peerless tranny. You wouldn't beleieve how well this thing cuts and stripes! It is nice to operate too! If I looked at the lawn after I cut it I would not think it was mowed with a RER, knowing how lousy they are. Anyhow, this thing didn't come with a bagger or mulcher or anything fancy, and had a turn radius of about 39" according to the book. Well, long story short, last fall I of course wanted a catcher for leaves. So I made one. 8 bushel, all you do to empty is lift the hopper and it dumps. Cool. So then earlier this year I want a mulch plug. No problem, this thing has a round deck setup for mulching, and it turned out to be simple to make and it would go round and also direct the clippings down into the blade again. Cool. So later I wanted a full length roller for even better stripes. So I made that too. Then same day I wanted a blowout lip because this thing has such high airflow that it sounds like an airplane down there and blows out everything it gets down there. So I take a peice of landscape bed edging (flexible plastic) and bolt it to the deck with 1/4"x20's. Works OK. Then I want tighter steering cause it's not too good at that. This isn't something i've ever done, but everything else has come out ok and this can't tear it up too bad, so just now went out and looked it over and unbolted one of the steer rods (off of the spindle arm) and move it toward the spindle axle to see if I need to shorten the rod. Nope, just make the hole alittle closer to the middle of the mower (steer gear box) so I drilled a hole on that side and bolted it on. Looks good. So I cut off the stop on the axle to let it turn tighter. Still good. Then I do the same to the other side, leaving the stop on that side cause it's the discharge side, and I don't need it to turn as tight on that side, just the trim side, and put it all together and it works great. Steering is alittle stiffer but it was real easy to begin with. Oh yea, I also put new rings in the engine. This thing is pretty good now. NO pics since i can't post them right.
    Eric

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Found out why it wouldn't let me post (my new digital camera saves them as JPG instead of jpg) so i renamed them as jpg 's and here's some pics.
    Eric
    Here's the blowout lip:

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

oops...

blowout.jpg

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

here's the deck roller

roller.jpg

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

here's the steering modification, see how I moved it up about halfway? I had to cut off the left hand steering stop so it could turn tighter but the right one I left because the right is the discharge side. This really helped alot.

steeringmodontoro2.jpg

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

here's the mulch plug, just two 1/4"x20's holdin' it on, so i can take it off quick and easy. works pretty good.

mulchplug2.jpg

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

here's the catcher

torobagger.jpg

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

here's the finished product:D :D :D

lawnstripes00.jpg

9. FrankenScagMachines