1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

poor results with Weed B Gone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnchopper, Oct 9, 2009.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I picked some Ortho Weed B Gone Max with Crabgrass control to spray mainly thistle, plantain, spurge, and some weed that looks like dandilion but with out the yellow flower in a forclosed property that hasnt been maintained very well. I mixed in a handheld sprayer and walked the whole yard and it didnt even faze it. So i waited a few weeks and still it didnt even tickle it. I mixed it 2.5 oz per gal. Perhaps i could still go stronger???

I know crabgrass control is pointless this time of year but its all home depot had. Maybe i shouldve used WBG Max without it since there may be another chemical in that wouldve worked better. Dunno:confused:

any thoughts??

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

3. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

You will be hard pressed to get consistent control of any weeds but especially crabgrass with "over the counter products"
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I'll ditto Liberty's sentiment about MN state applicators licensing. :waving:

But aside from that, aren't there places in central Minnesota where you can buy professional caliber pesticides?
    Hell, even having to travel somewhat out of your way to an ag-chemical outfit out in the middle of the boonies is 10X better than resorting to using the high priced junk that box stores like HD or Lowes sell!
  5. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

I agree about the junk you can buy at the box store. The internet is an option also.
  6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I vote hire pro.

Mixing stronger than the label suggests is a felony btw.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

hire a pro, not licensed is a felony too so umm, bettter whatch out there
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You used 2.5 ounces per gallon. But how far did that gallon cover? You refilled 7 times right? Maybe you tried to stretch it too far. Small hand sprayers do not put out much and often have poor pressure. Be sure you use a gallon per 1000 sqft. And be sure you use the maximum rate permitted on the label. Add some detergent to wet the weeds better. If it is not your own property...you need a licensed professional. Better results--power equipment--save you time in the long run. Spurge and crabgrass are summer annuals--even a light frost takes them out.
  9. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Did this product state it would control these "broadleaf" weeds, as well as crabgrass? Ortho does make a product just for "grassy" weeds. Is it possible you picked up the wrong concentrate? Plaintain is one of the easiest weeds to kill, so you should have seen, at the very least, some curling after a few days.

I'll also ditto the others, follow label rates, and unless you are licensed, hire a pro.
  10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Oh Yeah, I missed that. I read quickly and assumed it was his own property.

To the OP, You really have no choice but to hire a pro if you are not licensed. Here in DE we had a guy get hit with a $20,000 fine for spraying for weeds. The chemical that cost this poor, unlicensed guy so much on his first offense...... Round Up.