1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

poor septic drainage

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stonewall, May 24, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

My septic lines have decided not to leach into the ground as well as they once did and I'm having some problems with some standing water at the end of them. I've heard that there are some plants that are well suited to help soak up the water better. Any suggestions?
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Replace the dirt around the lines. you'll be better off
  3. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Stonewall - I'd suggest using a backhoe to dig and remove as much dirt as possible and practical. Replace with bed of course gravel and fill with sand. If you're not on private septic, I'd wonder if there is a break in the line.

I'm assuming that a caution not to hit any part of the septic is unnecessary. :)

4. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really want to undertake digging it up right now in mid season. Maybe a winter project, if it's not too wet like last year. I was hoping for a temporary fix with plants.