Poor SUCKERS!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paponte, Oct 7, 2003.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Oh man. I just got back to a guy with a price for an estimate I did yesterday. I thought the guy was going to blow a heart attack on the phone. The part I found most amusing, was the prices he was getting from some other companies. Below is the job description, and some prices he had received. These poor SUCKERS have no clue!

100 yds fill - delivered & spread with machine
    40 yds topsoil - delivered & spread. Final grade by hand
    200 lbs seed - rye, fescue, blue mix
    Bag of starter fert
    Lime

All work in the backyard of the house. Everything has to be dumped in the front yard by the curb. Oh yeah, and they were also repairing the divots from the machine in the front of the house. ALL FOR... :dizzy: $2,000.!!!!!!::dizzy:

Another guy said $2,500.

What a bunch of Poor SUCKERS!! Gotta love working for free. :cool:

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Paponte- I have seen this many times. Whatever. Some of these guys just have no idea. Who knows, maybe they are planning on getting away with less fill and 1/2" of topsoil. But I think some homeowners will bluff about prices to try to get the job for what THEY want to pay. I have no use for those people. I have always said if I was going to lose money, I would rather do it sitting on my couch watching TV than breaking my back on a customer's lawn.:drinkup: Good to see LI guys on here. Mike

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

They are going to pay the customer to work in his yard.

Gene

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Fill and topsoil is pretty easy to come by in large quantities with all of the building that has been going on.If they are getting it free or next to free .............Just a thought.

5. paponte

Does that fill and topsoil have machines, labor, and seed buried in it too?

Even if that was the case, that is still a ridiculous price. If you get a discount for a favor owed to you, do you give it to a customer that had nothing to do with it? Or do you make more money on the job? I can see a discounted price, but not for next to free.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I could barely get the supplies for $2,000

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Paponte,
    I agree with you,it was just a thought. I wouldn't do it here for that price much less do it in your neck of the woods for that amount.

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Divots ..lol carrying back 140 yards of material will leave much more than divots ... The way I would have to do it is 1/2 yd at a time in a bobcat.
    It's always nice when the customer lets you know what the other bids are ...When they are ridiculously low, You can walk away from it with a smile on your face ...knowing that one of them is going to be sorry ... either the homeowner or contractor.... probably both.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Are you sure the work is being done? priced out a lot of jobs the way the customer wanted and after they get a few legit estimates they scale it way back. $2500 sounds like 40 yds. top and the seed. And if is a true estimates you will never have to worry about those two, low balling again after they finish that job. LMAO Mac

10. paponte

Agreed. Even if these other guys were getting fill at close to nothing, your machine still has to move it. It doesn't know the difference between topsoil or fill, nevertheless the price of it. It just blows my mind sometimes. I do laugh that someone is actually going to do it at that price. The part that pisses me off is trying to justify my price, knowing that I would be doing much more... and doing to right. :cool: