Poorly draining lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kturner, Dec 4, 2002.

1. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

I just picked up a new lawn that was just intstalled...sand sod laid on clay. It won't drain at all. Any suggestions?

Aerating will help but not solve the problem.

The best I know to do is aerate then mulch with sand.

2. If the problem is severe-

Best thing for the turf would be to start over.
    Remove sod
    prep soil properly before reinstalling

For a fix
    I would top-dress with compost. Do 1 or 2X per year until corrected.
    It's a tough sell but 1st option usually ends up better and less $ after all is done.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Two main things to consider in drainage - percolation and runoff. You're not going to get very good percolation into a solid clay soil, but how deep is the clay layer?

And is the affected area in a very flat terrain, where there will be slow runoff? Or is it in a depression, where the runoff from surrounding areas is contained with no exit?

Need to know those answers before you go about a real solution.

4. WHAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER DOING IS AERATING HEAVILY THEN SPREADING GYPSUM ON TOP OF THE PROP. GYPSUM IS PROVEN TO BUST UP CLAY PARTICLES AND LET NOT ONLY WATER PENETRATE BUT ALSO INCREASE THE CATION EXCHANGE CAPACITY OF THE SOIL. BE VERY LIBERAL WITH THE GYPSUM, WE'VE PUT UP TO 150 LBS ON 1000SF BEFORE.

5. wilawns

wilawns LawnSite Member

you could always plant some willow tree's of you dont mind the mess:) or im not sure if this would work in clay soil but i think its called a french drain where you bury drain tile the kind thats only half perferated and have it run to the ditch or a better place for the water

6. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

All good posts..... take these ideas to the client and present him/her with the options (all priced of course). If he/she cares about there landscape, they will let you loose to fix the problem. If they don't and won't spend the bucks, give them notice and find another account. Who needs an account that will not help you improve their investment. With regards... devildog