Popped fuse on Toyota, now no dash lights

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BSDeality, Nov 13, 2006.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Hi Guys, I was changing a light on my trailer the other day and popped my parking light fuse because of a short on the trailer. I fixed the short on the trailer and then I went out and bought a new 15A fuse for the truck. While I was under the dash I figured I would fix one of my dash lights that was out behind the heater controls and I would hook up the light for my tach (left un hooked from previous owner). When the fuse for the parking lights blew the dash lights went out also. I assumed they were just on the same fuse as an idiot warning that you popped the fuse, however with a new fuse they still don't come back on. I also hooked my tach light up to the 12V coming off the dimmer switch and that comes on when I turn on the parking lights but none of the others come on. I thought I might be putting too much draw on it so I disconnected it and still nothing.

It's a 1994 Toyota Pickup, 4cyl, 5spd, 4x4

I checked all the fuses that would be pertinent to the lights, the manual suggests checking the wiring and grounds for faults. I'd rather not rip my entire dashboard apart trying to find a bad ground, does anyone know where I should look (preferably easiest to hardest)

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Check all fuses with a test light, and I mean all of them. Even the ones in the relay box under the hood.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I got it worked out. It turns out the guy who owned it before me (rat-nester) had severely weakened the dimmer switch wire right behind the switch when he feabily attempted to wire the tachometer light in there. We patched the wire and all is well now.