Popped Tires

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikewhit1010, May 19, 2008.

1. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

All my lawns are not the best in quality so every now and again we run over stuff. It has been just my luck that I popped two tires in the past 2 weeks. I am dropping 75$ a tire. Does anyone know of a place on line I can order WRight Walkbehind tires for cheaper then that. Shoot my Yukon has cheaper tires then that.
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Instead of replacing them, have you checked to see if they can be repaired? Most dealers have a green slime that is available that fills the puncture spot when it happens.
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

4. mikewhit1010

You know I have seen that green slime but I did fix a flat and I have used it multiple times before but the whole was right near the rim. The mower was on a trailer and then BANG the tire exploded a week later. I will try that green slime.
  5. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey mike, i carry a tire (plug) repair kit, spray bottle of soapy water and a small tankless air compressor (runs off the cig. lighter), in all my vehicles. all three items can be purchased at stores such as walmart and shouldn't be more than $20 (total).

1st time you repair your own tire, you're ahead of the game ($) and more importantly back to work in less than 5 minutes. unfortunately, plugs don't (usually) work with damage to a sidewall... unless it's a small hole. sidewalls can be patched but that'll take a lot more effort and/or time. if all else fails, look into using a tube (approximately $20) rather than replacing tires every time they go flat.

if flats are really an ongoing issue, you may want to have the tires foam filled. good luck. have a good one.
  6. mikewhit1010

thanks for the input. I guess I do need to get a tire air compressor, my guy at the tire shop does plugs for free but it does hold up the day . What is foam filling a tire
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing to consider with punctures is slipping in an inner tube,
    thou it only works with certain rims but it's worth checking into...