popping 23 kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firefighter, Apr 20, 2003.

1. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

My zero turn has 28 hours on it ( 23 hp Kaw ). This weekend while it was set at idle, the engine started making a popping sound. You rev up the motor a bit, it will surge up and down and still pop. At full throttle when mowing the engine runs great. Any idea's ? Going to call dealer in morning.

Thanks

Firefighter

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Mine did that when I had a enginair filter kit on it, when I bought it they never told me that I would have to rejet it, anyways it would pop, run great at full throttle, reason running tooo rich:)

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Too rich with the enginair? I thought that the two stage filter would flow more air than the tiny stock one?

4. Longer passage to "suck" air through?

Kaw needs to be rejetted when adding the filter to it.

My Kohlers do not.

It does sound like it is getting to much fuel at low throttle, check to see if air cleaner is clean.

5. At idle, when the engine surges, that's like us gasping for air.

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Have tried new plugs, carb replaced under warranty, etc.

It's just Kawasaki junk. None of my Kohlers has ever even hiccupped. More trouble from one Kawasaki in 200 hours than 5 Kohlers with 3000 combined hours.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I guess it's all in the luck of the draw.

I just clicked over 1100 hrs on my 23 Kawi....and have not had the first problem with her. No pops...no hiccups...no tapping...no smoke....no seeping....nothing. Still performing like the day I purchased it. (Knocking on wood).

Check the air filter. I change mine out every 100 hrs...along with the oil filter too. Oil gets changed every 50.

Good luck locating the trouble.

8. grayghost_32

grayghost_32 LawnSite Member

I,ve got a 25 that sounded like that.Check air gap on coils.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Or the head gasket. The only thing is, is that they need to be changed to check them. Do NOT use anything like a wire brush or anthing to take the gasket material off! Once off, you will be able to look at the head, and look for "carbon spray" going off to the side, near where the valves are.