Popping Circuit Breakers!

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by thfireman, Apr 15, 2003.

1. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the problem.....

I have a 115 volt wire feed MIG made by Lincoln. It is rated at 20% cycle 60 Hz. 20 amps. When I am at the house I plug it in and the only place I have is a 15 amp line. After welding for a 10 - 15 second stretch it might kick off the breaker. It will kick off the breaker if I start a new weld right away after the first. ??? Am I making sense?

Well I thought it might be because I was on a 15 amp breaker line. But when I took it to work I used a 20 amp line and it would weld fine the first pass but when I started a second pass right after that it kicked the breaker off again. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Please help.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Are these dedicated breakers?? If you are using a 20 AMP breaker with a TV and Light already running on it, and then go to weld, the breaker will trip. If this is happenning on a breaker with nothing else on it then I would be confused. Make sure the breaker you are using has nothing else attached to it.
  3. thfireman

Thanks for the info... I was afraid you would say that because there is a couple other items on the same line. I am going to look into having a dedicated line put in just for things like this.

Thanks for the help and I will let you all know if a dedicated line fixes the problem.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I only know that because I had the same problem...:cool: :cool:
  5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

There is also a type of breaker with a delay, for elec motors, welders, ect.

Also the more you trip a breaker the weaker it will become.

The best thing you can do is have a dedicated 20 amp circuit with nothing else on it.
  6. thfireman

OK, Now I need to ask this...

Being that I am no electrician I am going to have it wired by a pro. Would there be anything detrimental to having them put in a 30 amp breaker with sufficient wiring on a dedicated line so I can use that line for heavier applications when not welding or is this not a good idea?
  7. wjb

wjb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

There should be no problem putting it on a 30 Amp breaker. Hiring an electrician would be a great idea. You will have to change the plug on the welder to fit the 30 amp receptacle. If you use a 20 amp circuit to power it, it will be like a standard receptacle, so you will be able to use it with more appliances.

8. thfireman

I had a dedicated line installed and now I can weld and weld without the breaker tripping. This is great, I actually finished a small job without having to run to the box to reset the breaker.

Thanks for all your help, you guys are great!