1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Popular LESCO Misconception

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tremor, Feb 9, 2003.

1. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

My applogy to the individual I lifted this quote from. There does appear to be a few "misconceptions" sorrounding our past, present, & future. Lest there be any mistake about it, this is our story.

Chuck, if I crossed the line on this one I'm sorry. I've been away lately because there has been no time to sit around defending honour when customers are in need of the stuff that put us here in the first place.

By the way, I like the spell checker. Won't use it. But I do like it!

__________Quote from a different thread________

"BTW Lesco doesn't MFG ANYTHING. They have it made for them."

"If you're stupid, you deserve to suffer"

_________Lifted from our own web site___________
    so I don't NEED permission.

Lakeshore Equipment and Supply Co.

In 1962, Robert F. Burkhardt and the late James I. FitzGibbon pooled their retail and turf management backgrounds to form the Company that is now LESCO®, Inc. LESCO, originally known as Lakeshore Equipment and Supply Co., began as a local supplier of turf maintenance equipment to the markets surrounding its Cleveland, Ohio headquarters. They began as they have continued, listening to the customers' needs and going
    directly to them with the highest quality products at competitive prices.

The 1970s:

The Company formulated the first LESCO fertilizer at Wellington, Ohio and opened the world's first sulfur-coated urea plant in Columbia, Alabama. In addition, the first LESCO Stores-On-Wheels® began calling on customers in

The 1980s:

In the early 1980's the Company manufactured the first piece of LESCO equipment, a rotary spreader. Soon after, manufacturing began on fairway and greens mowers. The development and marketing of a variety of proprietary turfgrass seed complemented the product offering. In 1984 the Company went public (now traded on NASDAQ symbol LSCO) and changed its name from Lakeshore Equipment and Supply Co., to LESCO, Inc. and quickly followed with the introduction of the first LESCO Service-Center® in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

The 1990's:

In 1992, LESCO began full production at its Martins Ferry, Ohio plant, the world's largest sulfur-coated fertilizer production facility. In 1993 LESCO completed a secondary offering shortly after William A. Foley joined as President and Chief Executive Officer. He was elected Chairman of the Board of Directors in 1994, following the
    death of James I. FitzGibbon.

In January 1996, LESCO acquired the assets of Pro-Lawn, a division of Agway, Inc. Pro-Lawn was the leading regional supplier of products for the golf and professional turf care market in the Northeast.

In October 1996, LESCO announced a joint venture with MTD Products Inc. The joint venture, Commercial Turf Products, Ltd. (CTP), elevates LESCO to the forefront of equipment producers with world-class manufacturing capability and the expertise to innovate. Production began in early 1998 in a newly-acquired plant in Streetsboro, Ohio.

In August 1997, LESCO acquired its first manufacturing facility on the West Coast with the completion of a stock purchase of Tri-Delta Fertilizer, Inc. of Stockton, California.

In January 1998, LESCO completed an acquisition of the turf assets of Agriturf, Inc. in Hatfield, Massachusetts and Cadwell & Jones in Manchester, Connecticut. The Agriturf acquisition included a fertilizer manufacturing plant and distribution center, strengthening service to the largest Northeastern U.S. Market.

LESCO completed a new state of the art fertilizer plant in Sebring, Florida in August of 1998 which will allow the Company to continue to expand its share of the Southeastern market.

LESCO Today:

This year LESCO is observing its 40th anniversary. The Company is celebrating by continuing to do what we have done for the past 40 years, revolutionizing how customers are served. About 25 new Service Centers will open in 2003 & the new "Hub & Spoke" service implementation is taking place on schedule.

Ad lib by me:

If you like to get your orders on time, don't feel bad. We do too. We also like to treat people as they wish to be treated. Stay tuned...there's more to come! If you're a customer, be excited. If you're not, be scared.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I enjoyed that. Concise, informative and to the point from a well spoken individual.

Now I am scared and saddened because I want an outlet near me.;)
  3. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Well done Steve. I try never to miss one of your post. Any chance of you moving to one of the Charlotte stores?..........Maybe I'd buy Lesco if you did :D
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Good info and thanks for sharing. I would like one of the ztr's if they were floating decks. Or is that a missconception? I see no chains. Only anti scalp rollers.
  5. They are floating decks.

Hey I was wrong for once. LOL
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I once thought that I made a mistake, but I was wrong.:p No, in reality, I actually am tempted to celebrate when I'm RIGHT!:D