1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Popular ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TiredOfWalking, Apr 20, 2005.

1. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

Last year I bought a 2001 Hustler Super Z with less than 50 hours on it which I found on Ebay. I loved what I read about Hustlers and have a Hustler dealer about 1/2 mile from my house. Also, I use this to mow my personal 3 acres and sometimes my neighbors lawn....so I don't use it much. Plan is for the mower to last me a lifetime.

Anyway, as I continue to look at Ebay it seems like not much Hustler stuff is available, but tons of Exmark and Scag stuff is. Also, it seems like every landscaper in my area has an Exmark on their trailer.

It seems like from what I read here the big factor in buying a ZTR is dealer support. So I guess the Exmark dealers in my area give better support, but why is Exmark so much more popular than Hustler on Ebay (which is much broader than any particular dealer area)?

Also, it seems like Exmark items hold their value more than Hustler (based on Ebay prices). Why is this?

Just curious.

Are these mowers that mu
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ebay wouldn't be my first choice for determining popularity of parts or equipment.

Ebay scares me more and more each day. Unless your prepared for the worst, buying sight unseen is a gamble at best.

Exmark is a larger company with many more dealers than Hustler. But with Hustler having a dealer so close to you, you should be fine.

Hustler has a great product. Equal to that of Exmark IMO.

All your basic mail order parts supply houses carry parts, blades, etc for Hustlers just as well as Exmarks, though your dealer would be my first choice.
  3. ChrisW

ChrisW LawnSite Member

My guess is that the folks that have hustlers are using them and not selling them. Just my $.02. I just bought one last week and it is great!

4. mike freeman

mike freeman LawnSite Member
    from DFW

LOL, that was what I was thinking. Of course I researched for a long time and just bought a new Super Mini Z so I am obviously a bit prejudice.

I love mine, best toy... um, equipment I have bought in a long time. :D
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think it's pretty simple...........
    There are just that many more Exmarks out there than there are hustlers......................
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would be surprised if there are any in our area.....Mostly Scag, then exmark and then Walker.
  7. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

What did you pay for your Mini Z. I'm eyeing one myself. :dizzy:
  8. mike freeman

mike freeman LawnSite Member
    from DFW

I got a Super Mini Z 52/25 kawi for 6500 + tax at Cypress Lawn and turf (talk to Ray) just north of Houston off of hwy45. :cool2: And yes it was brand new. Super nice guy.

I live north of Dallas and drove down and picked it up. Lowest price I could find in Dallas/Ft Worth area was $7400.

Server will not let me open up a second window to look up the phone number, but you can find it in the Hustler area, just do a search on my posts or Cypress in the Hustler area and you shouldn't have a problem finding it. (another person bought one last month and gave me the number)

Good luck.
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I just bought another Hustler Z, but before buying I demoed Exmark for a couple of days and although it is a nice mower it just isn't anywhere near as good as Hustler. Cut quality is the only thing that is close in comparison. Every other aspect goes to Hustler by a mile. I have owned JD, Dixie Chopper, Toro and Hustler over the years. As always a lot of manufacturers cater to different niches. But if you get a Hustler that is set up right from the dealer then exmark doesn't have a niche to stand on. They cut awesome, but so does Hustler and every other plus is in Hustler favors. Less blow out, smoother steering, more stable on hills, lower profile, better hydro's, Tires are filled with Slime (Never had a flat in two years on Hustler), better warranty, better customer service (although Exmark isn't bad), just an all around stronger build. I can't thing of one thing the Exmark has over the Hustler besides cut performance and that is judgmental. I won't say either is better then the other in cut because they both are great in that department. But cut quality being equal, Hustler is a much better mower. Hey.... Did I say Hustler is a better mower :). Well, that's my opinion anyways. Not knocking Exmark, it's a good mower and I thought about buying one because my Hustler dealer was overpriced, but when the rebate kicked in it was a no brainer.

We have a popular dealer here (well it's popular with newbies now, the veterns know better) that use to set the trend. First it was JD, and then Scag. Soon people started seeking smaller dealers out and all the sudden you started seeing Dixie Chopper, and Exmarks. We still have a variety of other brands too. But I have noticed a lot of Hustlers poping up and the local schoo district is useing Hustler too. They are still far out numbered by Exmark, but I laugh at how the local guys know so little. They look at you funny when they ask what that chute is that you open and close while mowing. They really look at you funny if you mention double blades. I just don't think these guys are seeking the best performance. I understand that these are afternarket gadgets, but it proves my point that people just don't really know. I have never seen anyone besides me with a OCDC on anything but Dixie Chopper.
  10. ChrisW

ChrisW LawnSite Member

I gave $5500 for the mini Z in Dayton, OH. It is new and has the 19hp Kawi engine w/52" cut. Cut my time down from 2 hours to 1 1/4 hours and had a 72" finish mower before on a 30HP tractor. This thing is great!