1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Popularity of irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by nate1422, Sep 29, 2005.

1. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the popularity of irrigation systems from your respective locations. Here in Southeast PA, it seems hard to find companies offering installs but with the drought this year, I think the popularity is growing. Is it better to offer irrigation installs in addition to your services or make it your business??
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Ca,we do it with our business's it's normal operating procedure ,but those who just mow only usually
    only repair broken heads and that is it.But all Landscapers install irrigation here,both drip and underground.
    If you can't offer it you don't have much of a chance.
    I could not and still have a hard time visualizing why alot of the guys on here complain of drought,and that their customers just don't water the lawns and let them die if no rain.Don't they own hoses and sprinklers back there?
    Why don't they have irrigation systems installed,it's not that cost prohibitive
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You pointed out a very good fact, that being that there are a lot of customers that do NOT have irrigation and can't water because of work scheldules and other time constraints
    So this is the PERFECT yr. to sell irrigation !!! Once you explain the cost of a new lawn or a renovation and explain that they might have to do it again and pay again and again unless they water or have irrigation, then it makes the sale fairly simple
    And in the customers eyes cost effective,
    No one should not be selling irrigation in drought conditions, it makes up for the loss revenue from lack of mowing.
  4. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I think people feel it to be expensive for "just a yard." I also think around here, people are starting to care about landscaping and the exterior of the home just as much as the interior. Over the next couple of years I am sure it will gain in popularity. I know right now I just renovated my yard and I wish I had a system. It isn't fun slipping in mud, trampling baby grass to move a sprinkler all over the yard and keeping after an acre for 4 hours leaves the wife lonely. This is what got me thinking about starting to do irrigation.

One other consideration I think is lot sizes. Anything under 1/2 an acre people would get a system but think it is too expensive for greater than 1/2 acre. They just complain about the expense of renovation and how bad the yard looks.

Just curious, I know it depends on many variables but what do installs for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 acre run? Also, what size crew is needed? I am in early stages of thinking at this point.
  5. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

We only do new construction installs. Theres no warranty on our landscape installs with out an irrigation system in the ground. With a system theres a one year warranty on our woody plants. This works really well, and we sell an irrigation system with 95% of our installs. Theres some big money to be had in irrigation here in Charleston, SC.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am puzzled about how big yards appear to be in North East, here in Texas most lots are 80x120ft. Consequently the cost of irrigatin installation is around $2000 and cost to water is about $150 in the worst months. We got a lot of land but most people don't care to have big lots.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

In our area new track homes come with landscaping and irrigation in the front. Back yards are additional or left to the owner.

New "gated communities" are expensive and homes and common areas are landscaped to the hilt.

"Ag mansions" usually have decent landscaping/irrigation and then surrounded by orchards of some type.

The place where money can be made quickly are the "walls" which are a city requirement: those public areas between the block walls of the tracks/customs and the surrounding main streets including public sidewalks. Landscaping and irrigation is initially paid for by the developer and then turned over to the city for upkeep. City contracts the maintenance out to contractors.

8. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

Around my area in the suburbs of suburban Philly, lot sizes vary, most new construction is 1/4 to 3/4 acre lots but due to land preservation/open space, many new subdivisions are required to have 1, sometimes 2 acre lot minimums. The area varies greatly in lot sizes and home sizes, new homes are in the 3000 sq ft range, 10-20 yr old homes are in the 2's and the 50's and 60's ranchers are in the 1000 range. It is the new construction I would probably focus on.
  9. ALVW

ALVW LawnSite Member

I'm on a 2.5 acre lot in NY state with 1 acre being wooded. After this year I am looking to have irrigation installed. Since we are on a well H2O supply, i'm not sure if I would need to sink a new well dedicated to irrigation. Anyone work in the Orange Co. area?
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Irrigating big lots just got cheaper in the last year or so. There are new nozzles that throw 35' and you can put them in old fashioned 1.72 Rainbird or Toro pop ups the nozzles are about 5.00 each but its better than the 10.00 rotors (cheap ones) and you can only put 3-5 heads on the line. I have put up to 18 Mp rotators on a line on a one inch valve @70 lb psi. The nozzles are called MP rotators Walla Walla sprinkle co. manufactures them and everyone here has them.