popup ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by larrylawns, Feb 9, 2012.

1. larrylawns

larrylawns LawnSite Member

I have a old popup camper I'm thinking of using for lawncare and wood like some feed back on this .it is 10x6 and I was thinking of building the sides up 3ft so that I can carry 6 yards
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. please post pics when you do.

3. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Sure why not. I ll post a couple of pics of my friends pop up conversion tomorrow. He s going to be hauling pigs and compost with it.

4. larrylawns

larrylawns LawnSite Member

Still getting frame beefed up and gate together will get pics up soon
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Silver Member

my 1st trailer was an old "pop up" frame.. Would like to see some pics too!

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Why is it always the guys with only a few posts that come up with these wacky ideas. I highly doubt if it will carry the weight of 6 yards of anything.:usflag:

7. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

those trailers can easily carry 6 yards of post holes ,sailboat fuel ,and even steam .
    Actually,the frames are usually made out of thin crap with very few crossers .Hopefully the frame will be gone over and fully re-inforced before putting the trailer into service .

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

My concern would be axles and frame. Mainly axles. If you go to beefing up a trailer and slide a new axle under it, you start to get into price range of a good utility trailer, even a used trailer.

9. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i had one that i used when my big trailer was down. i hauled my scag turf tiger on it and i bent the axel,plus the coupler broke. the turf tiger is 12 or 1500lbs. so i would be carefull hauling if it could 6yards. its not worth it,just make a extra trip. good luck.

10. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

6x400# dry,6x700# wet=to much and that's conservative.I can put 4 yards on my 7000# trailer with c channel main frame when it's wet and it's all I want.It will handle more but I like my stuff to last more than one season.