Porch Overlay, Sand Or Not

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by STRINGALATION, Mar 10, 2008.

1. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

When doing a porch overlay do you put down a sand base. or are there guidelines for when you need to or not. i have done a search and only one or two seemd to use a bed of leveling sand the rest seemd to adhesive soilders and just lay the rest. also mentioned was the height diff between the sand bed and th soilders. so at this point it looks like i should be mortaring in stead. in the mortar process help i have decided to hang on to my estimate for a couple of days to get some responce to this thanks:dizzy::dizzy:

2. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Hi String, i've done a few overlays and I've used thinset for the soldiers, then laid the center on the existing slab. 4 years and no problems.

3. STRINGALATION

this porch has a few surface issues. 1. ther is a dip where it is higher than the old stoop
    2. there is a dip where he decided to take it out a little further . 3. he for got to put weep holes on the extended side so one of my goals of the bed of sand was to pitch the surface towards the steps and the weep holes will post some pics

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Sand is not intended for overlay purposes. Mostly due to the border height variation from being glued directly to the pad, but regardless I would not install an overlay on any pad with, even a hint, of structural issues.

5. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

6. STRINGALATION

here is the part that he decided to extend out a little. will check the icpi link tonight but i think i saw it already not sure but someone had a crosssection photo and they had sand i will check later gotta go thanks for all help

[​IMG]

in this photo you can see that where my foremans foot is the 1/4 inch dip line

[​IMG]

7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to have 3 1/8" soldier course glued with PL . Inside 3/4" sand with 2 3/8" pavers. Don't forget your fabric so your sand don't migrate.

8. STRINGALATION

that is what i thought. will that weed fabric work?
    looking at my photo i did not think i needed a soldier.
    also i have chose a 1'x2' stone i planned on speckling with a diff stone but the accent stone is slightly thicker. i was hoping to lay the regular stones and then remove some for the accent and excavate them ever so lightly if they would not pack to level the primary stone is 1 3/4" accent is 1.8"
    really gotta go thanks

9. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

If your surface is clean and level, you can omit the sand and just glue the outer perimeter pavers in place. The biggest problem would be the clitter-clatter of the pavers when you walk on them. Even if you swept sand in the joints, theres a chance they can still move. I would dry lay the whole thing together and glue each piece down, then sweep your sand. If you use bedding sand, you'll need to definitely use geotextile and either taller pavers for the perimeter, or caps (depending on your design)

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

If your soldier course is the same size as the field I would go ahead with glueing down all the steps and the soldier course directly at the top of the first step. Beyond that (looks like there is a foundation wall all around the porch) I would use some thin set to level out the low area(s) on the porch and just lay the brick with no glue at all. I have done it that way countless times. Once you put a layer of poly sand the brick won't move. Now if your steps have a cap stone that is larger than the brick I would line the edge of the cap with geo non woven and place a layer of sand, I would set up my screed pipes and tamp, then re-screed again to bring level and then lay the brick. For a final compaction I would just use the lightest compactor you have on a piece of plywood, or just carefully hand tamp. Either way will give great results. Just depends on what materials you want to use here.