1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Portable Air tanks....for trailers and skids??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SouthernYankee, Dec 1, 2006.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I had some problems with low air pressure on my trailer tires and also on my skid steers. I am not able to get a power full compressor , nor is it very useful when I am out on a job in the middle of nowhere.

Anyways, if I got one of those portable air tanks, would it have enough pressure to fill trailer tires with a skid on top of it? Also would it have enough pressure for a small skid? I have never used one before and was wondering how useful they would be in this application. thanks
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i keep an 11 gal unit with me most of the time now. I've used it twice this year. It definitely is helpful when you need air in a pinch. I've not used it on anything as big as a skid or loaded trailer though. A bobcat trailer should be dual axle, so weight distribution can be moved by moving the machine around on top of the deck, I wouldn't see why you couldn't fill up a trailer tire that way. It should be able to get enough air into the tire to get it be safe to use again and limp it to a compressor. I usually keep mine @ 80psi. Max is 125psi
  3. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

WE use an old 100 lb capacity propane gas bottle like they use to use for your gas cook stoves in the old days.You have to change the fitting at the top ,but when full you have a lot of volume of air and can fill several tires.

If you could afford compressor.Get the portable one with the gas motor so you could use it out on your jobs also.Good luck.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

There are underhood compressors that are run by the truck motor, but I think they're at least $1K. What I would do is get a heavy duty inverter and a small, electric compressor to keep in your truck. The inverter can be used for many things, so it's not really a single purpose piece. Equipment service is very important for us, I actually was spec'ing gas generator/compressor combo's to mount on my flatbed before we got out of the excavation business. We use air so much it's ridiculous. Air filters get clogged so easy in the summer that you're blowing them out every 30 minutes, radiator screens and radiator fins get full of crap in early spring, plus we have 3 trailers, 3 trucks, and 1 skid steer, lots and lots of tires to keep aired up in the field if need be. So an air compressor, to me, is a lot more valuable on the side of keeping equipment maintained, completely aside from the tire issue which is still a concern.