1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Portable Battery Jump Starter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've decided one of those portable battery pack jump starters might be a good investment. Does anyone have a good recommendation based on experience?

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

don't opt for the cheapos (with lites and gadgets)....i've been thru 4 different ones and have been let down.

i now have one made by solar "Booster Pac" $198 and one by K&K "Jump-n-Carry" $149 both of these were a little pricey, but they have worked great....

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Great Advice CaptDevo. I have experience with the jump and carry. It works good. I also have some experince with the $50 version junk (experience throwing it accross the parking lot):)

Go for a good one and you won't regret it. Its a good investment. We have a 12V/24V one also that we use for our heavy equipment and it works great. Its a must have in our shop, especially during the winter, with over 80 pieces of equipment/vehicles.

4. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Yup same advise here. Had a junky one, and after a few weeks, it would no l;onger hold as charge. Not good.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Don't want to sound like a broken record but you get what you pay for. I also opted for the cheap one. So just imagine I am in the middle of nowhere the battery dies. I figure no problem I will just use the fully charged jumper that I have but guess what. Darn thing didn't do a thing. I ended up give it to the trash men but warned them on to count on it.

Gravely_Man

6. Westbrooklawn

Thanks for the replies from everyone. After some intense internet shopping I found and ordered a K&K Jump-N-Start commercial model for only about $35 more than the consumer stuff sold by the local Wal-Mart.

Should have it in about 2 days......I suspect it will be one of those tools that you don't need often, but when you do need it you will wonder how you ever got by without it!! I will put the old jumper cables into mothballs....ha ha!

7. Westbrooklawn

I should have said I ordered a "K&K Jump-n-carry".......the jump-n-start was another brand I had run across on the net that appeared to be more of the consumer type....