Portable containment device.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by marko, Feb 8, 2005.

1. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I am planning on applying my herbicides out of a 4 gallon backpack this year. I am wondering if anyone has info or ideas for a containment area to be able to fill on site (out of truck bed or open trailer). I am envisioning a 25 gal supply tank (water only), a 25 gal containment pan, and a way to pick up or empty the pan in case of a spill. I do extremely small yards hence the backpack. Has anyone built one of these or had to get one approved by their state? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I use a 50 gal fill tank (water) then add my chemicals from a tip n pour, easy, no mess, safe. :)

3. marko

I will do a search on tip n pour. From my understanding I needed a non leaking pan to pour over and catch any residue from triple rinsing etc, that could be reused a water in the tank (dumpable to your sprayer). Any ideas where to get the tip n pour?

4. qps

from Indy

A tip n pour is simply a plastic container with measurments on the top, you would fill this with your weed control from a 2.5 gal container and transport it to your truck, using it as you needed. simply a way of not pouring from a 2.5 gallon jug all the time and good when your using small amount of pestcides at a time...Lesco has all sizes... :)

5. marko

Thanks, Im stopping by next week so I will check them out.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you elaborate on that 50 gal setup. How are getting the water from the 50 gal tank to the backpack (i.e. gravity or some type of pump)?

What brand of tank and pump setup do you have?

Do you haul the tank in the back a pickup or a trailer?

7. qps

from Indy

Yes, I use a poly tank( they sell them at tractor supply) mounted on treated 4x4 runners, 1' or 1-1/4 fertilizer hose with a handheld valve on the other end, gravity fed, work good as long as your fill spout is lower than your tank/tailgate area, fill your backback...if it spills...its just water...then add your weed control last and have at it....tractor supply or a farm supply will have all of these parts, maybe not the 4x4 runners, also use ratchet straps to secure the tank to the runners, just screw in a couple of eyelets.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks qps, seems like most or everyone is using gravity feed to get water from the nurse tank.

9. qps

from Indy

works good for spot spraying or LV spraying (PG units) total expense is around 150-175.00. Good luck :)