portable, electric blade sharpener

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kkkahn, Oct 13, 2002.

1. kkkahn

kkkahn LawnSite Member

:confused: We use 7 Toro 325D's, 2 Toro 455D's , 2 Toro 580D's and 1 Scag 48" , to take care of approximately 4,000 acres of regional, and community parks property here in the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood, Fla. area. We're looking for a type of blade sharpener that wouldn't require us taking the equiptment back to the maintenance building to sharpen the blades. What we'd really like is something portable, to run over the edges of the blades, thereby eliminating down time. Any help or advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Has any company invented, and perfected such an animal? Thanks,
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i can only think of a cordless drill with a mounted stone in it, wouldn't be accurate at keeping angles though
  3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

sharpener...Magna Matic!!!!

power supply....Large inverter or small generator!!!!
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Question I have is when do you run back to the shop for the blade work to be done? Middle of the day?

Why not have them already sharpened and grab an extra sharpened set every morning on your way out. Then when they need to be change take the old ones off, the new ones on, and away you go. It would be much faster just changing blades than it would be to take them off and sharpen. You will be wasting manhours with the guys standing around waiting to get their mowers back.

Here is what I see from the description you wrote. Lets say changing blades takes 5 minutes. With 12 mowers that means at least 12 guys waiting on mowers. You have now lost 1 manhour(60 minutes=5min eachX12mowers). But let say sharpening takes them each down for 15 minutes. Now your manhours lost just went up to 3 hours. (15minx12mowers) 12 mowers out of production for 5 minutes each is a good bit of grass that didn't get cut. But 12 mowers for 15 minutes each is a huge amount. Thats 180 minutes(3manhours) of lost production. 12 mowers would have cut a huge amount of grass in that time.

The other problem I see is not being able to balance blades by doing it in the field. I found out for myself recently how much this can and will hurt your performance. A properly balanced blade will give you back horsepower because the resistence is gone. Thus making the mower cut better and easier. It keeps vibration down, which is one of the most detriemental things to equipment. Spindles and bearing will last much longer. All these things add up to less downtime for repairs. Which can and will kill production. By doing this in the shop you can make sure every blade is balanced and get the full potiental from each mower running.

I guess I think of it this way because when everything comes from my pocket for expenses and production is needed to be at its highest, it makes you look for the most productive way to do everything.