1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

portable generators??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Jun 3, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I just found a storage place to keep my equipment in. Unfortunately it has no electric or lights at all.
    I was thinking of getting a small portable generator for running a light in the event that I should need one, and more importantly to run something to sharpen blades with.
    Anyone have any experience with them? Anything special I should look for or know about?
    Don't want to spend a ton of money. Something small that won't be used for more then a couple times a week and for short periods only.
    Saw some 1,000W units for around $300. Appreciate any input.
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Make sure the generator is up to the task of running you grinder, lights Ect. Volts X AMPs = Watts
  3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i am guessing that you will find yourself using the generator more than you think. I have one for my storage and i wish i would have gotten a bigger one. I am not sure the wattage but consider that you will prob be running 2 lights, air compressor, and grinder all at the same time so make sure it can handle those demands.
    I also use mine for doing bush trimming jobs (electric hedge trimmers)
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

IF you go with a small portable one the best are made by Honda. IF you decide to go larger I would consider a skid mounted Diesel powered unit. This was it could still be moved if you decide to move on to a better location. The disel units run forever, are efficient and require little maintanence.