1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Portable Irrigation System

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bryn, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

I thought this might be of interest to someone if they do a search for a portable irrigation system.

This was built to aid in watering new seeded grass, using garden hose and impact sprinkler heads.

I used pipe to hose couplers so it could be connected to the outside water tap, and pipe to hose couplers on the Value output to connect to hose pipe.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda looks like the test station I have at my shop for working on controllers. :laugh:
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Would a backflow preventer be too much to ask for?
  4. PurpHaze

Could always install one of those hose bibb types. :)
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How exactly would you backflow into a sprinkler like this?

If the water level around the head is that high, you've got worse problems than backflow :D
  6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I built something similar to this for my dad, but it's built into a toolbox to make it weather resistant and portable. To the guys who asked about backflow prevention, why would you need it if it connects to a hose bib, uses garden hose and is totally temporary and portable?
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The second some dirt or mulch gets kicked over a hose, the 'above ground' argument goes bye-bye. Even a spring-loaded check valve would be better than nothing.
  8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the ABPA web site and read some of the cases that have happened. A hose bibb vacuum breaker should be the minimum.

See the problem with totally temporary, totally portable is those two facts. Possibility of contamination exists.

Oh well that's just me... grouchy old fart who has been around the block and back a couple times.
  9. WetWell

WetWell LawnSite Member

Very nice design, I like it! You may want to run the hoses with a special connector so the sprinklers aren't stretched out in series, more like a T design so they get even pressure and flow.
  10. PurpHaze

Hose bibb.... :)

Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker IV-01.jpg